Did it again. Visited pool store chemical discussion...

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
Visited a local pool store. They install nice pools. They also sell Bioguard chemicals. I noticed they sold both MA and SA (Muriatic acid and Sulfuric Acid). I asked about their pricing and it was the same as HD. I was confused about the SA and they said it could be used like MA. Confused I asked why would you want to add sulfates to your water. Didn't get a reassuring answer.

We also talked about TC levels and CYA levels. I stated I normally run about 10% of my CYA level (80) so I keep my TC around 8. She said that was high. I stated I realize compared to no CYA it would be but then I used the comparison of having an army of 100 and only sending out 10 to fight at a time. She thought that was a silly analogy and started talking about CC levels.

I realized I had nothing to offer. I did get a couple of phone numbers, one for a screen room person and one for deck repair. We'll see how it goes.

I should have learned what I've learned here stays here till asked about.

Bobo

bobodaclown said:
She thought that was a silly analogy
This is because the pool industry only talks about CYA as protecting chlorine breakdown from sunlight -- a "sunscreen for chlorine". They don't talk about how most of the chlorine is bound to CYA making it essentially inactive. That is the dirty little secret that no one wants to talk about because it runs counter to a "CYA doesn't matter" argument that allows for continued sale of Trichlor tablets along with very profitable algaecides, clarifiers and other products that are often needed when the water mysteriously goes south.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.