New to the Forum and a question or two

Oct 12, 2011
Hi everyone - I've been lurking on this site for some time now and have come to appreciate the insights and knowledge, not to mention how helpful posters are. I've owned a salt water pool for four years now - 16x36, vinyl liner, Jandy Acquapure 1400 and StaRite Cartridge Filter and pump - with great results. However, my family and I will be moving to a new (to us) home with an existing 20 x 40 concrete chlorine pool and Hayward sand filter and pump.

My preference would be to move away from a chlorine pool and install a salt chlorination system. However, is this a poor decision given the fact that the pool in concrete? If so, is there a 'best' approach to limiting the use of chlorine through the installation of some other sanitizing system, like ozone?

My second question is aorund the installation of winter safety covers. The new pool does not have one installed and, having dogs and kids, it's a must for us. Do you guys think this installation is doable for a non-professional?

Thanks very much and I look forward to interacting with all of you.

Rob

Going from a puck fed to a salt cell could pose issues but nothing insurmountable. My main concern would be to make sure the bond wire circuit is intact.

If the deck around the pool is concrete and the pool is a true rectangle, you probably could install a safety cover yourself if you had a friend to help. I don't recommend you find the cheapest safety cover though. They aren't all the same., not by a long shot. What would take you most of the day would be done by me, for example, in a couple hours.

I do recommend you have it done for you though by a local dealer of Loop Locs, Merlin, or Meyco covers. They last longer when done by an experienced mechanic.

Scott

Rob,

Welcome to the forum :lol: There is as much chlorine in your salt pool as in the new one. Both salt pools (a pool with an SWG) and a manually chlorinated pool use chlorine as the sanitizer....it's just a different way of making it.

Ozone will not do you much, if any, good. I suggest you live with it as is for a while and see how you like it...... knowing all along that the switch to an SWG is quite simple and is a reasonable DIY job.

Thanks so much for the responses, I really appreciate it.

Dave, I think your suggestion of living with what I have to start is the best way to approach this. I have to admit, the salt water is nice to swim in, and this is really the only reason I am considering the switch. However, given that I'm getting into a concrete pool, am I at risk of corrosion / premature wear if I moved to salt?

That sir, is exactly why I answered as I did. If the pool and the equipment is properly bonded and there are no electrical defects in the grounding or neutrals, you would be fine. If there is a stray current, a zinc anode can be added to the bonding system to absorb it, preventing or at least minimizing it's ability to corrode via electrolysis. This can happen with or without a cell, btw.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.