planning for new pump install.

jr219

Oct 2, 2011
can unions and other assorted fittings be typically sourced locally at HD or Lowes? I know the fittings likely can but am not sure about unions

Also, is the preferred method of sealing the threaded inserts just teflon tape? I see some people using this sealant on a stick? What is that about?

Thanks,

-jr

Most fittings can be found at HD or Lowes, but they are not reliable about having things in stock in most of their stores. Often you need to get the threaded cpvc pipe that connects to the pump from somewhere else. They will often have unions, but you can find better quality unions mail order.

Larger threaded pipe joints work best with teflon based pipe dope instead of teflon tape.

JasonLion said:
Most fittings can be found at HD or Lowes, but they are not reliable about having things in stock in most of their stores. Often you need to get the threaded cpvc pipe that connects to the pump from somewhere else. They will often have unions, but you can find better quality unions mail order.

Larger threaded pipe joints work best with teflon based pipe dope instead of teflon tape.

Can you suggest a better quality union. Inlet and Outlet are 2" Sch 40.

thanks,

-jr

I just installed my pump and used the Plasto-Joint Stik with the cpvc nipples made by T.B.S. Irrigation Products. I don't know which one is the problem but I had a leak right after the installtion. I read the bad review and then some replies said to use plenty of Plasto and did just that. The replies also said to turn the nipples to no more than 1/4 in of thread left but I found it was not possible to make it that tight before something may crack. I think the Plasto is just too dense making the threads hard to turn all the way in.

I'd worked on my splinkler valves with threaded PVC joints and they always leak a little after and then stopped eventually (may be hard water help). I don't know if it's normal for pool.

Also, I used unions from HD which are fine for now but that was because I didn't know there were better ones. I would spend $$ for the best parts for pool because that is something you don't want to deal with later. I will look into having some sort of a roof/cover to protect all my equipments/piping from sun/rain to reduce wear and tear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.