I am in awe

moyer02

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 11, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Sometime ago, my SWG broke down and before investing (e.g., giving) more money to Pentair, I decided to try your BBB method. Skeptical, as others I'm sure, I read and reread everything (and I do mean everything) on this site about BBB. First, as suggested I bought a Taylor test kit through the TFP website. The test kit came very quickly. Plugged in the numbers using the Pool Calculator, then adjusted as instructed. Found a sale on Clorox regular bleach at my local military commissary (2/$3) and stocked up. Did everything the BBB method told me to do. After a few days of tweaking, my numbers came out just right. I never really had any major problems with my pool, and I do think that having an SWG makes pool maintenance more passive. However, I have been converted! Why everyone wouldn't adopt the BBB method is beyond me. I've decided to put off buying a replacement SWG and go with BBB for the rest of this season and all of next and maybe longer.

Y'all are awesome! All this info for free??? This website has made me a much more informed pool owner. I can't tell you how much I am indebted to you for providing this service. There should be more concerned people like you! Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!

This site history, as I understand it, was began because someone got pool stored one too many times. The current owner of the site is a commercial entity that benefits in this sharing of knowledge though this site is not for profit. It is made possible by the generous contributions made by those that feel compelled to see it continue because it has saved them significant dollars and this is there way of saying thanks. Many of the major contributors to content here, such as myself, do so because we feel it should be free since it was given to us for for free for the most part. Some are in the industry, some aren't. I am.

I personally do it for the betterment of the industry. It helps those that might otherwise be taken advantage of unfairly by those that think conducting business means sucking every last dollar possible out of a client every chance they get, often leading to the consumer getting screwed over. I couldn't look in the mirror and like who I see if I maintained that attitude.

The Occupy Wall Street movement seems to have some parallels here. I doubt it would have happened had more people maintained the philosophy I, and the others on this site, try to maintain. My customers see this. The people here see this. Morals do have a place in business and until more follow that line of thinking, sites such as these are going to thrive.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
This site history, as I understand it, was began because someone got pool stored one too many times. The current owner of the site is a commercial entity that benefits in this sharing of knowledge though this site is not for profit. It is made possible by the generous contributions made by those that feel compelled to see it continue because it has saved them significant dollars and this is there way of saying thanks. Many of the major contributors to content here, such as myself, do so because we feel it should be free since it was given to us for for free for the most part. Some are in the industry, some aren't. I am.

I personally do it for the betterment of the industry. It helps those that might otherwise be taken advantage of unfairly by those that think conducting business means sucking every last dollar possible out of a client every chance they get, often leading to the consumer getting screwed over. I couldn't look in the mirror and like who I see if I maintained that attitude.

The Occupy Wall Street movement seems to have some parallels here. I doubt it would have happened had more people maintained the philosophy I, and the others on this site, try to maintain. My customers see this. The people here see this. Morals do have a place in business and until more follow that line of thinking, sites such as these are going to thrive.

Scott

Since you are in the industry I have a question for you. We know how untrained most peple are in the big box stores. So as someone that is on this site, do you tell people about the BBB method or do you have to follow the big box stores?

I tell darn near every customer I have about TFP and pool school.

I do this for more than one reason. In addition to helping other, it also serves as proof to new clients about my knowledge and integrity. While i occasionally garnish new leads and clients from here also, it isn't a primary reason for my participation. I want my customers and other consumers to have something they won't get in most pool stores, a straight and honest answer.

I don't poach on box stores. I discourage clients from getting some things there like tabs that have copper sulfate, etc... but I am no ambulance chasing lawyer. I don't have time to either. I don't need to. Please don't imply that I would either.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
I tell darn near every customer I have about TFP and pool school.

I do this for more than one reason. In addition to helping other, it also serves as proof to new clients about my knowledge and integrity. While i occasionally garnish new leads and clients from here also, it isn't a primary reason for my participation. I want my customers and other consumers to have something they won't get in most pool stores, a straight and honest answer.

I don't poach on box stores. I discourage clients from getting some things there like tabs that have copper sulfate, etc... but I am no ambulance chasing lawyer. I don't have time to either. I don't need to. Please don't imply that I would either.

Scott

I was not trying to imply anything dont take it that way. I assume are you on this site to help people and share your knowledge. So was just wondering how you approach the situation. I assume that you have a lot of knowledge of the industry that can help people here. Also I assume when you tell people about the stuff here they look at you like you are crazy.

Prospects that call me do so because they don't know. When I point them here, I don't get any resistance normally. The Pool School section here is the best I have seen on the web. I urge my customers to get a proper test kit. I don't sell them. I suggest they get theirs from the same place I get mine and we know where that is.

Retail stores may not like me much but so what. I don't sell chems, I sell repair services and augmentations. When I show someone how to save up to 40% on their chems and teach them how to keep the pool in balance with proper testing, I have earned their trust, crucial in a competitive market such as mine.

After the pool is fixed, any upgrades they want, they will ask me and know they will get a straight and honest answer. I also get quite a few referrals. I must be doing something right. :party:

I don't often visit box stores except for some plumbing supplies or electrical supplies.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PoolGuyNJ said:
This site history, as I understand it, was began because someone got pool stored one too many times.
The actual history is that Ben Powell created PoolSolutions in 1997 and then subsequently The PoolForum with that history described in this link, but Ben went AWOL and new registrations were prevented. A few of the PoolForum members then started separate forum sites around 2007 and this one originally started and owned by Sean Berry is the one that grew the most and survived.

Sean sold the site to Dave S. (username duraleigh) where more details can be found in this post. Jason Lion manages the site.

TFP has come a long way and is an incredibly helpful and friendly site, but we shouldn't forget that this all really started with Ben who may have been the first one to seriously question pool industry dogma and come up with minimal cost pool maintenance and problem solving techniques that helped many thousands of pool owners.

fishinabarrel said:
PoolGuyNJ said:
There are a few. Most simply lurk, read, and learn.

Scott

I think I ended up here via PoolGuyNJ. I believe I wandered into a gardening forum and there was a pool thread and he pointed out pool school. And I ended up here. Buying bleach alot.

I also stumbled upon this forum from a link in gardening/landscape forum. I guess they go hand in hand :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.