closing pool 1st time

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Hi,
We are having the pool store close our pool the week of Oct. 17 (won't know exact date until Oct. 15)

Can I shock the pool now?

They told me to stop running the filter and drain the pool about 2 inches under skimmer about 1 week before they come....If I do that I obviously can't run the filter or shock it!!!

Is there any reason why I would need to stop running the filter that soon?

When is the best time to Drain the water before they close the pool? (a day, a week, ?)

Thanks a ton!!

I read in a few posts that said to shock and let it drop to around half the shock level.....is there a difference in closing at shock level or half shock level.
I just want to open to a nice clear pool in the spring. :-D

Thanks again

Ok, I'm shocking pool tonight (hopefully I get a response soon) My cya is between 20 and 30. The chart says shock would be 10 or 12.....the next one is 16 would it be a bad idea to raise it up to 15 today and not add anymore bleach and close it with whatever the level gets down to on Tuesday. The pool is being closed on Tuesday. We are going to drain the water tomorrow afternoon....is it ok to drain it that close to closing?

Thanks so much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright, Pool Store came and closed pool...here's what they did:
*drained water from filter/pump
*removed hoses from skimmer and to return
*blew out lines (I wasn't out there for this part) :oops:
They didn't add antifreeze, they said it didn't need it.

*Put cover on pool

Will everything be okay without antifreeze

Is there anything I need to check? (make sure no water left in filter etc.)

Also should we cover all of our equipment, the pool store said not to cover heater or filter ?

Thanks in advance

Take some pictures and post them of your pool. Removing hoses and blowing them out doesn't make sense unless im reading it wrong. I tell people not to cover the heater or filter too because wrapping them in tarps tends to trap moisture and then the sun heats the trapped moisture. Building an open walled structure over them to keep off snow and rain is okay. Pictures will help :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.