couldn't wait....opened today. 1st timer's report.

induce

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
Heck, the sun is out, our winter traveling is done, let's open this thing. Too nice not to look at. This is our 2nd pool, 22k ig vl. The pool was finished late spring, had a great summer, and the pb closed it as part of the deal. Called him up last week to come and open. He said peel back the loop-loc a bit and start filling back up close to the skimmers. He would come first of the week.
I've been a long time forum user. First at Ben's and now here @TFP. I used BBB for a long time too. I figured what the heck, maybe i can open this thing. Got the box out with the plugs, return eyes, baskets and played " let's see, this goes here and that goes there......yep, let's give her a try.
Pretty dang easy! filled up to 1/2 skimmer, put in the sand filter plug, put in the polaris plug, put it the pump plugs, (all taped), lubed the o ring on the pump lid and filled the pump with the hose and put the lid on. removed the return caps ( in the pool) and installed the eyes. removed the gizmos from the skimmers, put the baskets in and ready. left the skimmers valves closed, and opened the main drain.
Turned on the main power to the pump and watched the pressure gauge to make sure i did not leave anything blocked. Took a couple of minutes to prime. I put the multiport to waste at first to purge "line funk" and then to filter. Getting the skimmers open without losing prime is an art. one at a time and just cracking the valve open and closed multiple times got them going. Getting the skimmers on line took about 15-20 minutes. Too fast with the valve and the pump would lose prime from the air in the line.
Done! No leaks and no air. Water was still pretty clear. Fixed the pH with a little borax. Brought the TA up with arm and hammer BS. Shocked with bleach. poly 60 in am. Jack's purple stuff tomorrow too, as i fill with well water. CYA ok too. Calling pb monday and telling him thanks, but no thanks.
I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Gonna close myself too!!

Nice work. You have such a good grasp of managing your pool, I'm a little surprised you're using polyquat and Jack's.

The polyquat is rendered unneccessary if you are as diligent with chlorine as you were at opening. Do you suspect the need for Jack's?

you know, i use poly 60 3 times a year. open. mid summer, and close. 1 bottle per treatment and buy it at walmart cheap. it's my witchdoctor. never had an algae bloom. Not even hazy. Now, i take carl's advice and try to stay on top of the water, but i get a little lazy mid summer.
Had the well water tested by the city water guy. had some mild iron, copper and mag. I put a dose of jack's purple stuff in last year when i filled for the first time. no more, no weekly dose. Then, mid summer, the steps looked a bit off color. i added another bottle, 1/2 right in the step area and the rest around the pool. 10 minutes......boom bright white steps. i mean white white.
Duraleigh, What are your thoughts on poly and jack's. Jacks is kinda pricey. $24.00
Also.....The water line is finished. the local county water dept. finally came our way. we should have "city water" within a month. so i might start topping off with that.......but i gotta pay for it.

Hi, Cal,

Good plan on the Jack's. As long as you continue to use the well, I think you're smart to keep it in there. Of course, if you switch to city water you can eliminate it.

I'm somewhat less enthusiatic on the polyquat. I've always felt if I kept on top of my Cl levels, it was extraneous. However, I DONT always do what I say I'm gonna' do so maybe I should be thinking about using it as well :oops: .

That said, during the times when I slip up, it's pretty easy to get my water quality back with a big dose of chlorine. It sounds to me like you got a great routine and if it's not broken.......you know...

You have inspired my to get off my dead butt and get a complete refill package up on the web tonight. I have intended to doso for two months now and it never seemed to get to the top of my list. It will save some bucks over ordering the individual chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.