Another newbie looking for assistance!

My husband I just purchased a house with a pool and are trying to figure it all out! Up until March the pool was completely enclosed, but sometime while the house was on the market the building caved in on the pool. The owners removed the building, completely drained the pool, and made it "swim-ready" for us as part of the purchase contract, and it looked beautiful. We took ownership of the house a couple of weeks ago, had two rains right around that time. The pool had a significant # of leaves in it and started turning greenish. With the help of a pool guy we got it cleaned up and added acid as well as shocked the pool. That was a week ago. Within a few days chlorine was back at zero, so I shocked it again Sunday night with 3 gallons 6% bleach. My tests were showing low chlorine again, so today I had the water tested at a local pool store:

FC = 0.2
TC = 0.3
pH = 7.8
CH = 310
TA = 167
Iron = 0.22

They suggested I treat with additional muriatic acid to bring down the TA and pH, then shock the pool again followed by adding stabilizer. She said the lack of stabilizer is what's causing the chlorine to go down so fast. She also gave me a short lecture about adding bleach to my pool, but whatever. :)

Finally, they also said I need to treat the iron because it is to high and could cause corrosion in my pump, heater, etc.

I'm looking for other opinions to either confirm or replace this advice. What do you think?

Tap the button on the right near the top of the page labeled "pool school" and start reading.

Your test does not show the stabilizer, you need this number. "Low" is not sufficient. Get that level correct and keep chlorine levels up by testing daily and adding bleach daily. You need your own test kit to do this, see Pool School, Test Kits Compared, for info.

With no stabilizer, chlorine will go to zero in a matter of hours.

I f your FC is 2 and your TC is 3..........you got 1 CC which means you're not through shocking. See the chlorine cya chart in pool school for shock value, but lower your ph t0 7.2 first. Shouldn't need much CYA over the winter but up to 30 is good enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.