Polaris 9300xi wheels breaking off

if using the marine epoxy - make sure you do not get any above the inside ring as it will hinder the white plastic sleeve the wheel goes into. See the video above. I have software engineering background and I wondered myself why the bot does not "learn" the pool area. you could cut down on 1.5 hours of time cleaning to 15 minutes if it had some artificial intelligence....but wait Polaris is having trouble with wheels...I guess they are far from those kind of improvements.

We bought our Polaris 9300xi sport in June 2012. Shortly after that we bought a second one and kept it in the box in our garage. We had it about 2 months when 2 wheels broke off...same as all of you.

Brought it in to be fixed. Had the second one in the water while the first was being fixed, then took it back out after we got the first one back. The drive motor went bad and I brought it in to get repaired. We put the second one back in the water.

It took about 3 months to get the first one back. We exchanged them again, and about three weeks ago had a wheel break off again. We put in the second one, but it stopped working.

We brought them both to get repaired. Water had gotten into the motor compartment somehow of the second one. We just got the first one back a few days ago, and yep, one of the back wheels is broken again.

When they work, they work fine, but they are cheaply made but expensive to buy. My Polaris is a superb pool cleaner made with cheap wheels.

I have opted to epoxy the hubs prior to them breaking. This way I know they are strong and the hub is centered. Cannot believe polaris does not fix these wheels. They must be wondering "how come we sold 10,000 units and 40,000 wheels

Just lost a wheel on our Polaris robot. Pool temp about 88-90 degrees, was running it to vacuum silt off the bottom after the pool flooded and a lot of dirt washed in after a heavy 5" rain overnight. Wheel and disabled robot were in the shallow end when I noticed it was messed up. We purchased our robot June 2012, and run it quite frequently, sometimes every day, multiple times per day, for our leafy, windy pool which we keep open year round. Until the wheel broke off, I was very happy with it. We'll see how they do at the service center (at Leslie's) but it's over a year old so likely it will all be out of pocket repair.

Update - third summer with our Polaris 9300. First year it was fine - a really great cleaner, IMHO - but second year one wheel broke off and took 5 weeks to repair at the service center but cost was covered by warranty or Polaris, third year, we're now on our second wheel break this summer! So frustrating. Was out for repair 4-5 weeks earlier this summer (Polaris covered again), and has been out again now for a week but don't expect to get it again this season. Ugh.

I have the same problem with my 9300xi. The original wheels broke after one season, Polaris replaced them under a two year guarantee. Now a half of a season later another wheel broke. I examined where the break is. It's a very thin area of the wheel, very poor design. You expect this poor design and quality from a $300 pool cleaner, but not from a $1,000 piece. Shame on Polaris.

this has been a problem with polaris for years and they have never fixed it. Friend of mine in the same boat and he is furious about it.

I have the same problem with my 9300xi. The original wheels broke after one season, Polaris replaced them under a two year guarantee. Now a half of a season later another wheel broke. I examined where the break is. It's a very thin area of the wheel, very poor design. You expect this poor design and quality from a $300 pool cleaner, but not from a $1,000 piece. Shame on Polaris.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This happened to ours as well. I tried epoxying it back on, but as another posted stated, there is not much there to grab onto. So, I got a piece of flat aluminum stock from the hardware store. About 3/4" wide and cut it so that it was the full diameter of the wheel. I removed the broken hub, placed on the wheel and taped it down so it would not move. If you look at the "axle" it is hollow with a plastic divider. Eyeballing it from the front-side, I marked and drilled two small holes, about 8/32" through the hub and the alum stock. then I drilled a hole out on the rim of the wheel at each end. 4 brass screws and nuts hold it all in place and, Voila! Wheel fixed! (if this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll post a picture.)

Now if I can just find a replacement drive motor, which failed a week after I repaired the wheel, I'd be happy.

I'm now going to do my best to avoid buying Polaris anything in the future. For what they are charging for their equipment, it should last much longer!

Bill W.

One of my wheels just broke off of the hub today. I found a replacement at poolzoom.com at a much better price than Amazon. I'll chime in if there is a problem with the part. It does look like they changed the casting of the inside of the wheel, adding spoke-like support between hub axel and wheel. Hopefully, this will do the trick. Mine is less than two years old!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.