Re-leveling a sunken pool wall - pool liner question

bzbatl

Oct 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The deep side of our pool sank about 1.5 inches because we had a trash pit very close to the pool ( contained trees the builder buried 27 years ago). The trash pit has been excavated and refilled so the sinking problem has been eliminated. Our pool contractor's plan was to build up that side of the pool so that the top is level with the other sides of the pool and then stretch the liner to cover that additional area at the top. The liner is about 5-6 years old in a pretty good shape. However, there is an additional problem: there is a pool light installed about 15-17 inches from the top on the wall of the pool. Because of the pool light, the contractor only had that 15-17 inches to work with in order to stretch the liner. In the end he said stretching the liner would have a high risk of damaging the liner so that the whole liner would need to be replaced. After spending thousands of dollars on fixing the trash pit, re-leveling the pool wall and re-doing the pool slab on that side we would prefer not to replace the liner right now. The contractor said that the only option ( other than trying to stretch the liner) is to just leave the liner the way it is and have a small piece of wood ( the section that was added to re-level the top of the pool) exposed between the end of the liner and the coping. This would last for 2-4 years and then when it's time to replace the liner this could be fixed properly with the new liner.

My question is: if we don't replace the pool liner right now, are there any other options for dealing with the space between the end of the liner and the coping? I thought we would just be able to take several pool liner patches and cover that area with them. Or maybe use a pool liner borderline to cover that area? The contractor said this is not possible. My concern is both aesthetic and functional. Would having an exposed 1.5 high piece of wood between the end of the liner and the coping an acceptable solution for 2-4 years?

thanks for your advice,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.