My Pool Build - St. Charles MO

Oct 3, 2011
So the past few months I've been researching (thanks to all the posters before me) and getting bids on my new pool. I finally have decided on a bidder and my personal set up. My builder hasn't broken ground yet and therefore I've naturally started questioning every decision I've made along the way. I think I still have a few more weeks until he starts, so please let me know if you personally would make any changes to this set up. While I know I haven't made any huge mis-steps thanks to all of the research here, I would like to get your opinions on my selections and price.

Here's my options:
-17'x36' Freeform (Omni/Gemini shape) Polymer Vinyl Liner Pool; Made by Hydra Pools
-Water Depth (notice I say water and not pool) 3' depth for first 14' of length, 14' gradual decent to 6' depth, 8' length of 6' depth. I was attempting to get a large shallow end to enjoy, while still being able to have my son, wife and I jump in with water over our heads. With this configuration I think I'll have 2/3 of the pool in which I can walk around in. As you can tell I've thought long and hard about this one...
-Cantilever Concrete Coping around entire pool
-8' Radius White Step
-8' White Cozy Cove with Jets
-1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow Pump
-Currently have Sand Filter Tegalus 60, but am thinking about upgrading to Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 Cartridge Filter - I've read all the postings about filter choice and while I think a sand would suffice I like the benefits of the cartridge (no backwash, hose off twice a year, less space, less heavy)
-2 Skimmers
-4 Returns
-2" Rigid PVC (except for around cozy cove -- PB indicated cozy cove needs flexible piping for all the returns in the cozy cove)
-Backfill of clean gravel (except for around cozy cove -- PB indicated sand is best around the flexible piping for the cozy cove)
-(1) Pentair 5G LED Light -- I'd love two but not sure I can justify the extra $1k
-Pacific Ultra Mesh Safety Cover
-Pentair Intellichlor IC 40
-3 Deck Jets in Concrete Pour
-All Labor and Materials
-950 Square Feet of Rock Salt Finish Concrete Decking with Integral Color - Has anyone used this in Missouri (or anywhere with a freeze thaw cycle) and liked/regretted the decision?
-250 Square Feet of Grey Concrete Pour extention for my existing 144 sq ft tavertine paver patio; tied into my current patio with rebar etc...
-All electric
-Start Up Pool Tool Kit
-Reversal of 6' cedar privacy fence gate swing and self closing mechanism. They'll also remove and place back an 8' section of my fence for yard access.

I plan on also doing my own landscape lighting while the pool construction is going on.

So to summarize - let me know what you overall think AND answer the following:
-$1k extra for another LED?
-Rock Salt Finish in Freeze Thaw Cycle of MO?
-Flex PVC/sand okay for Cozy Cove Only?
-Good Size?
-Good Depth?
-Good Price?

Thanks and look forward to all the responses!!

We just had our pool completed in August. We are in St. Charles as well. (Flint Hill /Wentzville) We probably met with your pool builder since we interviewed quite a few! I would advise you go see the concrete contractors work and see colors. The colors we selected off a chart were no where near what we got on our stamped concrete.

I posted photos under New pool opened in time for fall"

I know next to nothing about building a pool, but I'm following your build. Looks like the PB is taking care not to tear up the yard any more than necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They did put in a drainage system, that connects to a sump pit... We are currently discussing if we should just go ahead and put a pump in with a float switch and or wait and see if it is neccesary. He's also discussed possibly putting in a french drain around the perimeter of the concrete pad, to help divert the waterflow. So I think we have it covered or at least I hope we do :).

I can tell you from dealing with problems in my one year old ig pool that excellent drainage is key to preventing issues. I'm having to retrofit some French drains and do some coping repairs due to frost damage.

Other than that, I have enjoyed following your build.

Has anyone ever heard of a manifold? My PB indicated he planned on putting a manifold in for the plumbing near the pool so I can turn on and off values at that point...
Is this a good practice, or a way to cut cost and less than ideal?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.