New pool start-up help!

Our history...our pool was filled September 22nd. Our PBs assistant did an acid start-up on the 23rd by adding 4 gallons of muriatic acid, 2 bottles of the blue stuff and turned on the equipment. Monday he added chlorine and we were allowed to start swimming. Wednesday he added salt and turned on the SWG, a week after PebbleSheen installation. We haven't had much contact with our PB since his vacation prior to PebbleSheen, which I am not very happy about but that is another story. The PBs assistant hasn't taught pool school yet but I have been checking the water with the kit they gave us (I ordered the TF-100 tonight). Last week the PH was really low, less than 6.8 which I was concerned might damage the equipment but then the PBs assistant came out and added the salt and other things and the water tested in range. Yesterday I tested and it was over 8.2. The PBs assistant showed up and I told him and he poured a gallon of muriatic acid around the pool and said it was fine and left. Today I checked and the PH is again less than 6.8 and the chlorine is low as well. Our SWG is blinking low but the salt level shows 3050 on the remote (it is running at 80%). Tonight I was brushing the pool and as I finished the tanning ledge bubbler and all the returns started blowing cloud water in the pool. I have no idea why. I'm not sure what to do, I turned the pump and cleaner back on to clear the cloudiness which helped some but the pool is still cloudy. Our VS pump is set to run from 8-5 (I think on high, although I don't know how to check this?) and the cleaner runs from 11-2. I don't want to ruin our equipment or the PebbleSheen but the PBs assistant has not kept us informed on what the next steps are. I am ready for the pool to be completed and learn about the equipment so I can start taking care of my pool!!!

I have read pool school several times but am still lost. What do I need to be doing? How often should I test the water? What should the pump be set at? What chemicals do I need to buy? I have 2 bags of salt outside and some muriatic acid. How do I calculate how much acid to add when the PH raises again? (I don't think the PH going from 8.2 to 6.8 is good for the pool?) I am so lost :(

Go ahead and post a set of test results indicating FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, CH, salt level, and water temperature. Take your water samples from the pool while the pump is running and not when it is off. We will go from there.

As 257 said above, everything starts with testing. No one can advise you on what to do until we determine the condition of the water.

Until your kit arrives, it would be a good idea to take a water sample to the pool store and get the test results mentioned above. Don't buy anything just yet. Your own testing will be better than the pool store and we'll help you get everything in order.

The pH swings are just a little excessive but not enough time has elapsed to really hurt anything. Your pH tester that you have is probably fairly accurate. What is your current pH?

Read the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" in Pool School. It's a good start. :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to help me! I took a sample of pool water to Leslie's and this is what they said.

TA 40 (recommended 2 lbs alk up then wait 4 hrs)
Ph 7.2 (recommended 2 1/2 lbs soda ash then wait 4 hrs)
CYA 40 (recommended 1 gallon conditioner)
FAC 2 (recommended turn generator up - don't know how to do that!)
Salt 3400

I didn't buy anything. All I have are 2 bags of salt and some muriatic acid at home.

Turning up the generator should be as simple as increasing the percentage it is currently running.

However. I don't think I'd change a thing until you can do your own testing. Nothing in your results looks like it will lead to trouble so another few days and you can test accurately and we'll have more confidence in suggesting your course of action.

How does your water look?

I entered an average in the pool calculator from the information listed in pool school for SWG. Based on my test results above, this is what I got...

PH add 23 oz muriatic acid
CYA add 294 oz liquid stabilizer

Does this sound correct? Where do I get the above items? Thanks, I am totally clueless :oops:

You can buy Muriatic acid at a hardware store, or at Home Depot or Lowes. Be careful not to get any acid in your eyes - its a good idea to wear safety glasses.

You can get stabilizer at Walmart or at the pool store. Sometimes it is also called conditioner. You can use liquid or solid stabilizer. If you use solid stabilizer, place it in a sock and hang the sock in front of a return until it all dissolves. After the stabilizer dissolves, it will take about a week before it shows up on the CYA test. If you use solid stabilizer, you will need about 100 oz to go from 30 to 70 ppm.

You may also need to raise your CH, but hopefully others will comment on that.

Your numbers are not too bad. The one thing you will need to adjust (perhaps 2-3 times weekly with a new pool) is to keep your pH down below 8.0

I would calculate a dosage of muriatic acid that will bring it down to around 7.2 and then test it daily. Once it rises to 7.8, bring it back down to 7.2. You will be doing that a lot probably for the first year but it will get less and less probably with a pretty dramatic decrease after 30 days or so. Make this your priority and the other adjustments can fall into place as you have time and learn more.

Keep reading up in Pool School. This will soon all be second nature.

Thanks Dave!

DH added 1/3 bottle ~ 41 oz of muriatic acid (gallon=128 oz) around the pool and we filled 2 socks with 4 lbs of CYA and put 1 in each return. According to our CYA level of 30 and our goal of 80 we should add 116 oz. The stabilizer is 4 lbs (64 oz) meaning we need almost 2 jugs. That seems like a lot?!? I read elsewhere on the site to add a little at a time. Do I wait a week and re-test the CYA or go ahead and refill the socks with the additional 4 lbs when this first 4 lbs dissolves?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.