Help me choose a pump/filter my my AGP

BBBliever

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2011
Central Califorina
My first season with an AGP is comming to an end within the next month or so. Thinking ahead for next year I would like a better filtering system. I currently have the 1/2 HP intex 1600 GPH. I think I would be better off with a cartidge filter to support my solar panels. I just added another 4x20 panel for a total of 2. After I added the first solar panel I noticed sand leaking into the pool. I still have not trouble shot the problem to see where it lies. I think it lies somewhere in the intex pump. Another "real" sand filter might support my system fine.

I was considering and would like input on the following:
Pentair sand dollar 100lb 35 gpm with 3/4 HP pump or
Hayward 100 sq ft X stream cartridge filter 80 gpm with 1 HP pump.

The Hayward cartridge at 80 gpm would be 4800 gph. My intex SWCG supports up to 4000 gph. Would the Hayward actually push 80 gpm? I know it wouldn't with the solar panels on.

Performance, relieability, and energy efficency are important to me. My KWH rate tops out at over 0.30 cents. My intex uses 300 watts an hour but I have not been able to find energy consumption info for either of these filter/pumps.

Any comments or insights would be great. Thanks in advance.

With electric rates that high I'd either go with a variable speed pump or at the very least a 2-speed. 3/4 hp is more than enough for you. If you can find a 3/4 hp 2-speed pump that would be a good fit. A Pentair Dynamo 3/4 hp 2-speed would draw 1056 watts on high and 264 watts on low.

I would go with the cartridge filter just for the water savings over a sand filter on that size pool.

Thanks Bama, I would love a variable speed pump. It would pay for itself over the years. Do they make variable or 2 speed pumps for AGP's? I'd prefere not to go through the expense of the electrical requirements for an inground pump. My pool location will change in 6 years or so as my 1 1/2 and 3 y/o kids grow to a larger pool. When the pool is in it's final location I will spare no expense to get the best set up. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks Bama, I am sold on the 2 speed dynamo. Best price I found was $250. Actually found a 1hp 2 speed for the same price. What is the wattage draw for the 1hp? Would 1 hp be overkill? Only time I would use high speed other than vacuuming would be to support my two 4x20 solar panels with the top inlet being mounted 9 feet high.

What is the largest cartridge you would recommend for this pump? Any particular make/model you like? After I choose a filter how do I figure the GPM flow I can expect in low and high speed?

My dream pool when my kids are big enough would be a 15x30 oval around 12,000 gallons. Would this pump with a large filter support this pool?

Again, thanks for the help. Stoped by leslies today. They said 3/4 hp 2 speed pumps were not available. Even my mom and pops AGP store did not have the 2 speed dynamo. I'm surprised they don't push it with our electric rates.

The 1 hp 2-speed Dynamo draws 1320 watts on high and 348 watts on low. It might be possible to run your solar panels on low speed, depending on your setup.

I recommend getting as large a filter as you can afford. You can't have too big a filter. Something in the 150 to 200 sqft range would be good now and in the future.

It would be fine for a bigger pool than that even.

I'm surprised they even sell single speed pumps in your area.

Bama, I think I've decided to go with the 1 hp dynamo. I'll probably always be able to use it in low speed until the solar panels go on the roof. I think I will mount it a the 150 sq ft pentair cartridge. I know there are many variables but what kind of GPM flow could I expect from this setup on high and low speeds. Let's take the solar out of the equation. Thanks again for your time.

Bama, a few more questions and concerns if you will please.

I just got my second fafco panel up today. It noticeably cut the flow of my 1/2 hp intex. I'm guestimating flow around 15 gpm. I know the SWCG needs 700 gph and it is getting that. I think the panels would heat more efficiently with more water circulation.

Just trying to figure which size 2 speed will give the best results/efficiency. Maybe the 1 hp dynamo would support my solar on low. The 1 1/2 hp would without a doubt. I'm guessing it draws around 2 kw on high and 500 watts on low, am I correct? If the 1 1/2 hp would perform on low as a 3/4 hp on high but only draw around 500 watts that would be a substantial savings.

I saw one decent pump/filter combo online at swimtownpools.com. It was a 150 sq ft pentair C&C cartridge with a 1.5 hp 2 speed JWP series pump. Price was about $550. Cheaper than I could build a 1 hp 2 speed dynamo with the same cart.

Just don't know which way to go. If the 1 hp dynamo on low doesn't support my solar I will use over 8 kWh a day to run my solar on high for 6 hours. If I could run the 1.5 hp on low that might be 3 kWh a day, big difference in the utility bill with my rates.

If the JWP series pump doesn't compare to the dynamo I could build a 1.5 hp dynamo with said cart for about $100 more. I found the cart for $385, pump $275, No tax, free shipping.

Thanks for walking me through this process. Water chemistry is easy to grasp compared to pumps and efficiency.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama, Thanks again. From what I have learned from this post the 1 HP 2 speed will be my best best. At the most it would cost me an additional $15 a month to run the solar panels on high when compared to the 3/4 hp.

Now that I know what pump/filter I want my next question is how do I put them together. Before I spend $700 I want to make sure I understand how to compleat the project. Please let me know if I am missing anything, here is my plan.

Build a skid out of 2x4's and plywood to mount the pump/filter onto. I assume I can simply bolt them to the plywood. Should I add a rubber mat under the pump to prevent vibration/noise?

I guees I will have to get the pumbing from my local pool store to connect the the pump/filter.

Install the cord and plug for the pump.

I was planing to use the digital intermatic pool pump timer that will support two devices, any benifit to the manual timer?

Is this simple to get the pump/filter up and running? Am I missing anything? Thanks, This should be my last question for this thread. Hopefully somebody else finds this info usefull as well.

What you propose is ok. I'd probably use plastic lumber to build the pad. Once you get the pump and filter, you'll see what parts you need and you can pick them up at a big box store or plumbing supply.

Either timer will be fine. Manual is fool proof but electronic ones are fine too. I have an electronic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.