Winterizing Summer Escapes AGP in Georgia

JulieLeo

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I have a vinyl blue pool cover...not sure if I should use it, but I will have lots of leaves in the pool shortly if I don't do something this week.

What steps should I take to keep my pool winterized? After January 1st, it can get into the teens for a few days in a row, but most of the time it's between 20 and 32 during the winter.

I still have the skimmer filter on it now, but have the 2100 gph sand filter I got from Walmart a couple months ago. Just not sure if I need to keep using the filter and treating the water through the cold winter months.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Julie

I live in sunny CA so no need for me to close. Todays ambient high was 73, my pool was 85 with the solar panel. Here is what little I know of closing.

To properly close and protect from freeze you should drain below the skimmer and take the pump inside. Remove the multi-port valve from the filter, although you can leave the sand and the rest of the filter out out with a cover on if you like. You will need a good winter cover to keep debris/light out of the pool both of which will feed algae.

The other option would be to leave it open and run the pump when it is below freezing.

Unless it is difficult for you to get water I would drain and refill in the spring. 2000 gallons is not alot of water. You can spend aday setting it back up or a few days clearing the algae.

I still have the skimmer pump attached to the pool. Haven't attached the new pump yet. I thought if it got below freezing I'd need to run the pump so I would then need to leave it connected. Did I miss something?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.