18% Stabilized chlorinating solution

jwfrank

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 14, 2008
Todi, Umbria, Italy
Bison Labs makes an 18% chlorinating solution which is stabilized. Bison makes it under 20+ different names including Crystal Aqua , Chlorisan ,Swim-Chlor

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Pro ... _NR=038942

I am thinking of using it in my Liquidator, and as a means of adding some CYA which I need to get up to 30-40ppm

Is the stabilizer likely to be CYA or equivalent? Will the stabilizer increment be the same as with Dichlor, approx 90% of FC ppm rise?

I know that the 18% concentration makes for a VERY short shelf life. Does the stabilizer increase the length of shelf life?

The link you provide for reference shows 12.5 % sodium hypochlorite, which is common liquid chlorine, which does not contain stabilizer.

Where does it say 18 % or "stabilized"?

The only "stabilizer" that is used is sodium hydroxide.

Warning: Products containing cyanuric acid should never be combined with any hypochlorite.

JamesW, thanks for taking the trouble to answer. I note that you are an industry professional

I attach a picture of the label from the chlorine container. Though in Italian, you can see the relevant items. 18% and stabilized. I did a search on swim-clor and was led to the Bison Labs reference. I suppose it is possible that this swim clor I just bought in Italy (where I live) has nothing to do with the page I included in my originating post

Independent of this, you state "the only "stabilizer" that is used is sodium hydroxide" Is CYA a different stabilizer entirely?
If I want to increase CYA, then I can't do so with the swim-clor product, would u assume?

If the stabilizer in this liquid chlorine is the sodium hydroxide, are there any side effects by adding it to the pool water?

Thanks for your insight

Attachments

• swim clor.jpg
    swim clor.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 178
Except that "soluz di sodio ipoclorito al 18% in cl2" means "sodium hypochlorite solution to 18% cl2".

Sodium hypochlorite is available at 18%, though it has a rather short half-life. I suspect that what they mean by "Stabilizzato" is just that they have purified it so that it won't break down quite as quickly as it otherwise would. There is nothing on that label that suggests the presence of CYA.

That's interesting. I would be interested in seeing what the strength actually tests as. I wonder if the "25 kg" is the weight of the full container? That would be 55 lbs. for us USA folks. :mrgreen:

The label does say super stabilized, but I think that it's just plain sodium hypochlorite. I don't think that there's any way that there is any cyanuric acid in there. Cyanuric acid and hypochlorites are not compatible.

Sodium hydroxide is added to slow the degradation of the chlorine. It will cause some minor increase in pH.

Perhaps there is some other "stabilizer", such as EDTA, but I doubt it. To be sure, you would have to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer's contact information is on the label.

Also, I don't think that this product is made by Bison Labs. I think that multiple companies use the term "Swim-Chlor".

You're in Italy so they make Hypo to 25%. 18% is certainly possible. It's not actually stablilzed in the normal sense but it is very low in salt and that makes the half life much longer. To maintain maximum strength it should be stored in a cold location.

Thanks to all who responded

1/ definitely a liquid
2/ weight is indeed 55 pounds. Not sure how many gallons/liters.
3/ I indeed tried testing. Using JasonLion's provided formula: 10ml into 1 liter twice, then using FAS-DPD, I needed 36 drops to change the red liquid to clear. Jason had written that each drop would equal 0.5% bleach (trade percentage). (He actually wrote each drop = 0.2% bleach but I used the smaller 10ml sample size.) Seemingly, then, the liquid chlorine "stabilized" has a long half life, but since I dont know when it was produced, I cannot be sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.