LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Yesterday I had my pool professionally closed and the mesh winter cover installed. The guy who did the closing recommends that I raise my water level back up to 3-4 inches below my skimmers. The reasoning being to prevent the mesh cover from stretching too much under the weight of all of the snow we get here in MN. Currently the water level is just below the returns.

My concern about adding water to the pool is that my fill water has high TA (around 225ppm). Currently, my TA is 80 ppm which is the "sweet spot" that keeps my pH very stable. In the past I have noticed that even when I add just an inch or two of fill water and my TA goes up to about 100, my pH climbs above 7.8. So, I am worried that by adding a significant amount of fill water, my pH will be high all winter.

What's worse - high pH all winter, or the possibility of damaging my mesh cover? I'm thinking the high pH isn't too big a deal since my calcium hardness is only about 200.

Test results before closing:
FC - 15
CC - 0
pH - 7.5
TA - 80
CH - 200
CYA - 40

I think my cover said 15" below the cover.

If you think you'll have enough rain to raise it before the snow hits, I wouldn't be too worried.

As long as the water level is no lower than 15 inches or so when the snow falls, its ok. It's lower than that now, but like John said, it may rain enough by then to raise the water on it's own.

My larger question is why they lowered the water that far in the first place? Yes, i know why they did, but those returns can be blown wet with no issue.

Thanks for the replies.

After posting, I found the loop-loc website and they also recommend the water level be 15-18" below the pool deck.

I also found this picture on their website, and it made me feel better about having a bit of snow on the cover :-D

[attachment=0:25plmvlz]pool-covers-looploc-bubbles.jpg[/attachment:25plmvlz]

As far as why they drained the pool below the returns, I understand that it is not necessary, but I believe it is a pretty common practice?

Attachments

• pool-covers-looploc-bubbles.jpg
    pool-covers-looploc-bubbles.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 105
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.