Suction side pool cleaner

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
I am thinking about purchasing a pool cleaner. Due to the way my pool is setup, it needs to be either a suction side type or a robot. The robot types look to be too expensive. Doing some research on the suction side cleaners, it looks like there are two general types: units like the Zodiac Barracuda line and units like the Hayward Navagator line.

My pool is enclosed within a screen room, so I do not have a problem with leaves and twigs etc. Anyway I would like to get some opinions:

1. Which type is better?
2. Within each type is one model better than another?
3. Any other recommendations.

Our pool had a suction side cleaner (Kreepy Krawly) when we bought the house. Never did like it...never did a very good job IMO. I re-plumbed the suction jet for pressure and got a Polaris 360.

I really like the Polaris ATV when it works in place of a KK or Navigator, I can’t recommend the ATV do to reliability. I’ve seen some quit after just 3-4 months of use. I second Thepoolcleaner or Baracuda G4, have not heard anything negative on either yet.

-Ryan

Re: Sammm

Gardog said:
Could you explain how you did that? I'm interested in something like the Polaris 360. I have a Kreepy Krawly & I really don't like it either.

My 'suction-port' was connected to a 3-way Jandy valve. I used the valve to turn that leg off. I then re-routed the plumbing and added a 'T' to tie in to the pressure side of the plumbing.

If I had to do it over again I would just leave the plumbing as is (that thick PVC is hard to retro-fit because you can't 'bend' it to make stuff fit. I also cracked a Jandy valve and had to replace it during my project) cap off the suction port in the pool. There are 'safety covers' available that go in the pool. The 360 is made for those without a dedicated pump for their cleaner. You just use an existing jet and connect your 360 to it.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.