IntelliFlo question

CARSON

Mar 29, 2011
Hello everyone,
I am almost finished with my pool build and am in the process of powering up my pumps and SWG. My question is:
How do I use the built in timer on my IntelliFlo Variable Speed pump to start and stop my SWG? The manual for the SWG says to use the same timer for the pump and SWG.

I am searching the pump manual and can find no information on how to do this. Do I have the right idea or do I need an additional timer? The SWG I bought is the CircuPool RJ 30.
Any information is appreciated.

There is no easy way to do that if you don't have a separate automation system. The timer in the IntelliFlo has no way to control anything external. So you either use a separate timer for the SWG and hope you can keep the clocks in sync, or you get a current sensing relay to turn the SWG on and off when it detects that the pump is drawing power.

Two ideas. I have a Pentair salt cell and if the pump is off the salt cell is actually off because it has a flow sensor. The only caveat to this is that the lights on the salt cell blink. I have a Pentair Easy touch which talks to the salt cell by rs-485 but the salt cell is still lit up and the lights blink when the salt cell is off to indicate no flow. The lights are so bright that we can see the glow from our bedroom at night.

My second thought is to put a pressure switch on the system and when the pump and there is pressure it will electrify the salt cell.

You don't want to rely on the flow sensor. Flow sensors are not reliable enough. If you have an EasyTouch system there is no need for any of this, as the EasyTouch will make sure the SWG is off at the correct times.

Jason suggested on my other thread that I thought was easy and very simple for someone who don't want to add any more equipments to their pool. Set the pump on manual mode at the speed that works and have it wired together with the SWG to the timer. When the timer is on, both turn on. Except when you have a long pwr outage, I don't know if the manual will hold. But I don' think it's a big deal.

The other one Jason also suggested was to add a small and simple current sensing device which turns on the SWG when the pump is on. This might not work in the case where you want the pump to turn on without the SWG like preheating the pool before a swim.

how-to-control-intellichlor-ic40-w-current-control-relay-t28298.html

What if I use the built in timer on the SWG (the CircuPool RJ30 has a timer)? For example, if I set the pump to come on at 8:00 am and shut off at 2:00 pm I can program the SWG to come on at 8:30 and shut down at 1:30. This would give enough time difference between the two clocks so I won't have to worry about the SWG being on while the pump is off, flow sensor or not. Does this sound like a safe enough approach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CARSON said:
Thanks, I will keep track of the clocks and make sure there is no chance the SWG will be on without the pump.
It's the power outages, and many times we don't know, that wil cause the problem. Power outage stops the timer clock for SWG but the built in timer of the pump keeps going for some time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.