2 speed pump, ps8, and heater cool down mode

coryp

Nov 6, 2007
will all three of these play nice together? i have a hayward 2hp, 2spd pump on a ps8 with a hayward 400k btu heater. when the pool crew originally came out to get it started, they only hooked up the single high speed and everything was working pretty good. used the spa, and when i went to shut off the pump, it forced itself into "cooldown mode", where it shut the heater off and kept itself running for a few minutes.

since then, they got the low speed running as well, but now when i hit the filter button, since it has to cycle through "hi, low, off", the heater never shuts down and the cooldown never kicks in. is there a way to make tis work right? the manual for the ps8 never seems to address this situation.

I have a slightly differnt setup. I have an AquaLogic with a solar heater and a two speed pump. I normally have the pump running in low speed. When the solar heater "kicks" in the control places the pump into high speed.

Anyway can you turn the heater off? and if off does the pump stop? Does the pump stop if the heater is on?

no, i can force the heater off no problem by hitting the heater button and the filter will keep running. i just don't want to have to wait around to shut the filter off later. i was looking through the config menu, and both my "enable cooldown" and "allow low speed" are on. i wonder if the "enable low speed" needs to be shut off. you'd think if they were both ok to have on in the menu, it'd work somehow. i'm just not sure how...

After shutting down the heater can you shut down the pump? If so then I believe everything is working correctly. Sequence: turn heater off, turn pump off, pump will run during cool down period and then shut off.

yeah, i tried that. whether the heater is on or off (me manually turning it off), and i turn the pump off, it just shuts off imediately. no postponed shutoff kicks in.

normally, you can tell when this is supposed to be working because the screen will flash "cooldown mode" when it's working properly. this lets you know the pump will continue running for 5 min...

Try changing your pool/spa setup around in the config menu. ......maybe it is on pool only. there are mult settings. Try "pool and spa-std". Also goldline tech support # 888-921-7665. They are GREAT!! Helped me today with freeze protection question.
One question: when you shut off the pump manually, does the heater keep running?

well, this was a weird one... so i was on the phone with goldline, while we were troubleshooting, i figured out my "-" button didn't work. i then tried activating the cooldown by using the panel, worked fine. it only wouldn't go into cm via the aquapod. got a new aquapod, all works fine. very weird.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.