patching solid cover with duct tape?

LeeM2

Jul 3, 2010
I have a few holes in my cover and I want to use duct tape to patch it. A couple holes are pretty big, like a quarter slot on soda machines but they are over the deck area, while others are 1-2mm and a couple about 3mm.

I know it should probably be patched with the real patch that's made of the same material, but I have dozens of these little holes and patching them all will be costly and time consuming.

I have a "Scotch Tough duct tape" which is rated 5/6 stars for strength and 6/6 for weather-ability. This tape seems to be very strong and I'm afraid I won't be able to take it off the cover, if I decide to do that. At the same time, I'm closing tomorrow and don't really have time to get self sticking patches which someone recommended.

So, should I try this duct tape? Also, should I patch it from the bottom and the top or just the top? I know patching both sides is better, but I'm afraid of duct tape coming off and getting stuck in pipes.

Pool guys I use lower water below skimmers, but right above returns. They say it's better for the cover.

Last winter I didn't have holes patched and I ended up with water level 3-4" over skimmer bottom when I opened the pool. I use gizmos in skimmers, but I'd think it'd be better if skimmers had no water during winter.

The cover is solid, about 6-7 years old. made by Anchor. Anchor patches can be ordered at pool stores only and they are over $50 for about 6x10

Which solid patches are good and where can they be purchased at reasonable prices?

Also, the wind is very strong here and it gets under the cover and then pushes cover down rubbing cover against icy edges of the deck cooping. My cover comes with rubber anchors which I guess are rubber so they can stretch, making it easier on the cover. I was thinking of using water bags to prevent the air from getting under the cover, but water bags would limit rubber anchor's ability to stretch putting more stress on the cover. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Is there a specific material that can be attached to the bottom of the cover in the area where it rubs against deck?

thanks

duct tape won't hurt the cover and any pipes should be plugged off for the winter. The worst that can happen is that the patch falls off and you have to vacuum it up next year. Look to see if you have a canvas repair shop in your area, they might have quick fix that is better than duct tape and cheaper than the offical patches.

X-PertPool said:
duct tape won't hurt the cover and any pipes should be plugged off for the winter. The worst that can happen is that the patch falls off and you have to vacuum it up next year. Look to see if you have a canvas repair shop in your area, they might have quick fix that is better than duct tape and cheaper than the offical patches.
The pipes will be plugged off, but once I turn the pump on next season I'm afraid the the duct tape can get stuck in pipes, unless of course I get it out with the net before I turn on the pump.

I know pool stores offer cover repairs, but it costs hundreds.

patched with the duct tape both sides of the cover. pool is closed. thanks.

P.S. I spoke to Leslies about their cover service. They ship it to some external facility where they evaluate your cover and give you a quote if it's fixable and then ship it back. Shipping is free both ways even if you decide not to fix it because the quote is too high. The only thing is - I'm not sure if they are patching little holes, like the ones I have. Leslie's also sell a patch kit for $30 which includes 3pc of vinyl material 9x9 and a glue. I guess not a bad price comparing what I was quoted earlier for original Anchor or Merlin patchs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.