VS-3050 pump immediately going into alarm.

jr219

Oct 2, 2011
Hello,

Just purchased a new house and it has a VS-3050 pump installed. There is some history of a lightening strike and I think the "head" (controls?) have been replaced about 14 months ago (12 month warranty).. When the house was inspected prior to our purchase the pump was moving at the different speeds, but after closing now the pump is not working at all. When pushing a button or using the pentair easy touch panel to activate the pump it simply clicks and then the alarm light comes on.

Had one service person out and he is recommending just going with a single speed pump. Says those are too complicated. Seems that I should invest in a new VS pump.

Don't know size of pool, but its not super big. It uses a EasyTouch control system. No in floor cleaning or anything.

Seems that the VS pump is fine (compared to the VF).

I am fairly handy when it comes to these things. Is there anything complicated about swapping out the pump or perhaps I just need to swap out the drive? Seems like the drive just plugs into the top of the motor and takes the RS485 and electrical connections?

Thanks,

-jr

Welcome to TFP!

Many, though not all, alarm conditions can be fixed. Count the number of times the green led blinks to find out what the alarm means. There is a table in the manual explaining the various alarms and things that might help fix them.

The drive electronics can be replaced, but it is sometimes difficult to find anyone who has them in stock.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

Many, though not all, alarm conditions can be fixed. Count the number of times the green led blinks to find out what the alarm means. There is a table in the manual explaining the various alarms and things that might help fix them.

The drive electronics can be replaced, but it is sometimes difficult to find anyone who has them in stock.

Thanks. Will head back out there tomorrow and check it out. An entire new pump is ~$900 online. I was quoted $1000 to replace just the drive. Does not same all that complicated.

-jr

So, it goes into over current alarm when running at full speed. I'm thinking maybe just the filter needs to be back flushed and cleaned? Is that possible? Have someone coming out next week to get the pool looked at and start maintenance on it. Eventually I'll likely do it myself but right now have too much on my plate to learn and deal with it.

If I start lower speeds and ramp up to high speed it is fine.

In the great majority of setups you never want the pump to go all the way up to full speed. Unless you have some extreme water features or a truly gigantic pool, you should setup the maximum speed to something lower than full speed and that will probably take care of it.

JasonLion said:
In the great majority of setups you never want the pump to go all the way up to full speed. Unless you have some extreme water features or a truly gigantic pool, you should setup the maximum speed to something lower than full speed and that will probably take care of it.

Yes, but even like 2500 rpm it will still fault out with over current if I start it up. Not all the time but often. The whole system took a strike so I'm suspect of everything. Thinking about swapping out EasyTouch with Intellitouch and replace pump with new VF..

-jr

Yea, that is what I am thinking. Wondering if I should just replace the driver or the entire pump. Leaning towards just replacing the entire pump. The seal appears to be leaking too. Not leaking bad but enough that I'm tired of messing around with things and just going to revamp everything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.