in ground pool with spa need help

lucky

Sep 30, 2011
can anyone help, i have a in ground pool with spa that spill over. It has venturi jets but there is not enough pressure coming out ( not enough air mix). the pressure gauge say 19 psi when the spa is on. We have tried covering one of the jets to make the other jets work harder but water starts coming out the vent that's on the outside of the spa. ( think this is suppose to suck in the air to mix with the water to make pressure) We have taken out the venturi jets and run the spa and no debits come out so i don't think its blocked . Another factor could be that someone put in a 1 1/4 hp pump and motor. would just like some advise before we change it to a 2hp motor and pump.
thanks
debbi

1) How many jets are in the spa?
2) What size are the pipes, 1-1/12" or 2"?
3) What filter do you have?
4) Is this a liner, concrete, or fiberglass pool?

Alas, simply putting a bigger pump might make other issues. It's not that simple and its good that you asked here first.

Scott

okay it as 4 jets, the pipe work around filter and pump is all 1 1/2, the filter is a pentair cartridge filter ( not DE or sand) and the pool is concrete.
thank you for help
Debbi

Your pool configuration sounds a lot like mine. I had a 1.5 hp pump and had to open the valves to spa and close all the returns to the pool and get the pressure up a little over 25 psi to get the jets to have bubbles in them. At 20 psi it could not pull the air in. My spa has 4 jets and 1.5 inch pvc.

hello, thanks for that info , but i do only have the valve open to the spa and nothing else, so it is only pulling form the spa. I am a bit about the water coming out of the vent pipe outside. should there be a check valve there or something to stop this?

thanks
debbi

With 1-1/2" plumbing, don't go beyond a 1.5 HP pump or you would be wasting electricity.

If water is coming out the spa venturis, either the insides are clogged or missing a piece. Can you post a pic (photobucket album, 4th option) and we might be able to figure out why. Certain Hayward spa jets are notorious for this behavior.

Scott

Hello,
I've taken out all the venturi jets and i can't see any blockage.We've also tried blowing air down the outside vent where it should suck air from to see if there's a blockage but no joy there. We have loned a 1-1/2 hp pump and motor and we had more pressure but still know where like it should be. What part would you like a picture of.
thanks
debbi

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure it would. It would gush. Why would you want to do that?

The flow to the spa jets should also draw in air via a venturi. This has the effect of increasing the pressure and water movement in the spa.

The OP has stated, or at least this is how I am interpreting it, that this isn't happening. If the OP has the jets I think he has, I think I might know why.

When I see a pic of what was removed, it will either confirm or refute my suspicions.

Scott

hi Scott,
If its any help, when i removed the eye ball i took out the twist lock 4inches long hexagon shape tube, nothing else was in there. I'm in the understanding that this is the venturi? Also i don't get a lot of gurgling out of the vent as it should have.

debbi

If what you have removed is the Hayward jet insert I suspect you have, the retention ring will have 4 tabs. Inside that ring will be a white Teflon ring that the ball shaped end would press against. There should be a second one in the jet body too. This often disappears, gets lost or is inserted backwards, more often the former.

The two Teflon rings allow the nozzle to be held in place by pressing against the balled end of the nozzle, allowing the nozzle to be opened or closed and to change it's direction up, down, left or right. It also keeps it aligned in the jet body. Without the one in the body in place, the balled end usually covers the venturi in the jet body, allowing water to go in instead of allowing air to flow out.

I Googled SPX0720PE2 and found a picture of them at poolpartsonline.com .

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.