Assitance closing just completed above ground pool

This is our first pool, I need assistance on preparing the water to close our pool, we just completed filling it yesterday afternoon, here are my test results from the TF-100 test kit, and I have not tested for CH yet.

FC = 0
pH = above 8.2
TA = 250
CYA = 0

Pool calculator results:
174 oz of 6% bleach
165 oz of 31.45% - 20° Baumẻ muriatic acid or add 222 oz by weight or 148 oz by volume of dry acid
112 oz by weight or 117 oz by volume of stabilizer or 291 oz of liquid stabilizer

Can the Klean-Strip Safer Muriatic Acid from Lowes be used; there is a customer comment that states; “The online description states that this product will reduce the pH of swimming pools which is correct. However, the bottle label specifically includes a warning NOT to mix with chlorine. This must have to do with the fact that this product is not just muriatic (hydrochloric) acid but is a mixture including some stabilizers to reduce vapors. I don't use chlorine in my pool for daily sanitizing but I do use chlorine for periodic shocking. Get the unstabilized muriatic acid from your pool professional or a janitorial supply if you need to decrease the pH of your pool or spa.” Should I get everything on target and winterize or do I just winterize.

Thanks in advance for any assistance I receive.

I can't speak if that brand from lowes will work or not. My guess is that it's 100% fine, but I don't know enough to say for sure.

I do have this comment to say however. Before you worry about the PH, I'd get some chlorine into the pool. With a FC level of 0 you are begging for an algea outbreak. You stated that "you don't use chlorine, however do use it for shocking??" Which product do you use to kill the yuckies in your pool??

I am planning on using chlorine, where it says I do not use chlorine is the comment I copied from Lowes customer reviews for the Muriatic acid.
I am going to pick up some bleach on my way home from work this morning and put it in this evening. Just need to know if I should balance all of it before I winterize or just shock it.

htredneck said:
Alson what is my shock target for FC if my CYA is 0.
Per the Chlorine/CYA Chart in Pool School (& PoolCalculator) , shock level for zero CYA is 10ppm FC.

About using MA and chlorine - always wait about 30 minutes between additions of chlorine and MA. Never mix any pool chemical.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Just re-read your thread.......

You should first lower your pH to the low 7's using muriatic acid.

I do not get the same calculations as you do using the PoolCalculator.com.

Verify your #'s again with the PoolCalc. I'm getting about 101 ozs. (3 qts. + 1 cup) 31.45% MA to lower pH from 8.2 to 7.4.

I would not worry about doing anything special with the TA before closing. You just need to lower the pH, add some CYA* (maybe 20 or 30 ppm) and shock.

* If you use granular CYA, it can take several days to completely dissolve, maybe longer since your water is colder. When do you plan to close?

BTW, what is the source of your fill water? Well or municipal?

Unless you have some sort of indication to SHOCK the newly filled pool................just balance it out and shut'er down. Ph down to 7.2ish and some FC pronto. Welcome!

You should just assume 8.2 and work with that as a starting point. It is easier to cut the PH down twice an hour or so apart after retesting than to raise it back up if you over shoot.

Thats what I did was used 8.2, instead of adding 3 quarts and 1 cup as the calculator suggested, I added a little less then 2 quarts, checked it 6 hours later and my PH is 7.2 now and TA is 200. So I enter my new numbers in the calcultor, changed my size from 21000 to 20000 gallons, it said I need 3 quarts and 1 cup by volume of stabilizer, I put 2 cups in an old sock and hung in front of my skimmer this evening, will check CYA tomorrow afternoon when I get up, just to see where I am at. Can I add clorine while the stabilizer is hanging in front of the skimmer or should I wait until I get it to 20 or 30 ppm?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
htredneck said:
Thanks for the quick response, and the assistance. I am working on getting the water balanced, my water temp is still above 60, and we are still having 80 degree days. Should I use polyquat when I close the pool for winter?
Well, it's optional. If you plan to close late and open early, you will prob be okay without it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.