2 filters DE in the pool. Double trouble Puzzle

dkoop

Jul 3, 2011
I have a large pool with 2 pentair 2072 DE filters. They are the kind with the bottom manifold. So I have been having DE in the swimming pool issues when I clean the filters. There are no holes in the grids. The Vent tube is screened, yet the stuff still keeps pouring in.

Very tired of this problem and cannot figure it out. I really do not want to have to take the valves apart and if I do I'd like to make sure I fix the right one. If you think it is the valves, any input on taking them apart would be appericiated. Send me your input or further questions.

Danny

I believe they are seperate as they each have there own heater and pump. If I was going by what I see in the equipment room, I'd say they are seperate. There is a Solar heating element that connects in somewhere. Is it possible that it gets combined under ground? I'll have photos Monday/Tuesday.

There is also really bad suction in 2 of the skimmers.

Poor suction makes me wonder about an air leak. Air leaks can cause water to flow out of the pump backwards and put DE into the pool through the skimmers when the pump shuts off.

I believe the filters are on the same line. I turned each pump off separately and found pressure in each Skimmer, expect SK1, and all returns except R2. These 2 points have both been having difficulties of late. They do pressurize but take awhile.

SK1 Has been lacking pressure with either pump.

R2 Has been showing excessive air bubbling and is the main area of discharge for DE (though I have had it come out of all returns in the past), and is the last to pressurize. Very odd that it is the last to pressurize. the bubbling occured with either pump and was nto stronger with one or the other. Could it be drawing from the backwash if the seal on the rotors has failed? It could be both rotors. They are both a ***** to move. If it was a bad seal i would see heavy water loss right? I do feel that the water loss is high but it is a 65000Gal pool in Southern CA. But still feels heavy. I think I'm going to cut the backwash piping to the drain and put a bucket under it. What do you think? What about from the solar?

SK2 also shows a lack of pressure but being furthest away I am not surprised, though recently there has been better pressure here as well as at the auto vac connection (AV1). Possibly due to lack of pressure at SK1

The pumps fill completely with no cavitations.

In addition to all points having pressure with any single pump running, I was able to see DE pass from one filter to the next when I changed them individually. This happened without passing through the pool and very quickly. (I vacuumed a bunch of loose DE from the bottom of the pool today, so it was loose in the filters and was drawn from one to the other with just one pump running.)

Photos to Photobucket
http://s1202.photobucket.com/upload/albums/Dkoop1/

Hope this helps. I'm begining to feel more comfortable with changing out the rotor valves if we think it is needed.

Danny

Thanks for your help

Posting the pics for ease of use:

Scott

Poolroomdiagram.jpg

PoolDiagram.jpg

Returnsandheaters.jpg

Pump2.jpg

Pump1.jpg

Bothpumps.jpg

OK so I cut the hard line to the drain adn do not see any leakage yet. It has been a few days. There is still a lot of Gurrgling out of one of the returns and after doing a thorough vacuuming, there is still a fair amount of DE back on the bottom. Not visible until it is disturbed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK so I checked the dedicated pump to the solar panels and it's basket was packed full of debris. Usually this basket is clean so I didn't think to check it earlier. It is located remotely in the basement. I checked the main pump baskets and they were fine. No cracks or holes. I don't know how that much stuff could have gotten in.

This seems to have solved the gurrgling problem, but cannot see how it would cause DE in the pool. I don't think I've gotten to the bottom of the problem yet.

I'm still working on mappin gthe skimmers and such but as far as I can tell they really are all connected.

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.