Dog ate test strips..

Sep 30, 2011
My dog has been vomiting with bits of blood all night. I went outside to see if she had gotten into something, and found a chewed up box of HTH 6 way pool test strips. I keep it on a shelf, but it must have fell, or been knocked over.

I can't find a MSDS for these things anywhere online.. What do the 6 way strips contain for chemicals? I'm waiting for the vet to open up, but, I figured I'd get a head start. She is walking around and doesn't seem sick, but she has been vomiting periodically all night. The blood concerns me the most. I know this isn't a pet forum, but I figured I'd get a good answer from a pool site on these strips.

Thanks..

I'm not a poison control or veterinarian expert but I think what is causing the bleeding/discomfort is the sharp edges of the strips. These strips are fairly large and rigid to make there way down a dogs intestinal track. A perforated bowel is a grave condition. I'm sure the Vet will want X-rays and possibly surgery. I would seek care immediately and take care of the situation. Best of luck to you. Let us know how all comes out.

Brought her in this morning, and the doc thinks she's ok internally. She doesn't have any pain when pushing on her abdominal area, and everything came back fine from the blood work, except for a elevated white blood cell count. So, they're keeping her to observe, and give her fluids through IV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.