Extensive water foaming with agitation

alpha1

Sep 28, 2011
Hello everybody! I'm new to the board with my first post, and would like to get your advice on my only current major issue. When using the waterfalls, deck jets, and especially the spa jets, the surface water gets extensively foamy. It's a clean, white foam most of which disperses in seconds, with the remainder clearing in minutes, accompanied by some effervescence.

My pool (indoor, in-ground 22k gal, pebble finish) was finished and filled at the end of this May, and this foaming issue has progressively increased in the past two months (not present at all the first two months). Trichlor tablets for the first month, then SWG since. Never have used any algaecides.

Today's chemistry:
FC 2
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 200
CYA 0 (I was told by my PB that indoor pools do not need CYA)

For the past month and a half, I have been using Pool Perfect with Phos-free in hopes of enzymatically degrading any proteinaceous substances that might be contributing to the foaming, and I shocked the pool last week with Clorox bleach. No change in the foaming (although the Pool Perfect and a couple of scumballs in the skimmers have really decreased the surface oil film). Very light bather load, averaging about 5 bather-hours per week.

Any suggestions?

Not exactly for sure what could be causing the foaming. Are you testing with one of our recomended test kits. How did you "shock" the pool. I assume all have showered and are clean of oils and hair products before they enter the pool.

On an unrelated note I think you would benefit from a CYA of at least 20 PPM. While it is true that chlorine from an indoor pool will not degrade from the sun CYA is also a conditioner as well as a stabilizer. With no CYA your 2 ppm FC level is high and might irritate the skin, hair, and bathing suits.

Although my hot tub gets no sun I maintain a CYA of 30 PPM.

If you used trichlor for a month, you have some CYA. If you decide to add any, keep that in mind. Seems like your problem isn't a result of any of the classic foaming causes. Maybe double check your numbers by trying an alternate testing source. Your CH is a tad low.

No algaecides, but the Pool Perfect has "Phos-free". The foaming was present prior to using that product. Can the "Phos-free" cause foaming?

The first month after switching to the SWG, they read the CYA as 20, but since then they've read it as 0. There is likely a small amount, somewhere between 0 and 20, just not "readable".

I use a Taylor drop test kit - at first daily, and now twice a week. The values from today are from my PB's shop, which are concordant with my at-home testing (at least for the FC, CC, pH, and TA for which I can test). I have my water tested at the PB's shop once a month.

I shocked with Clorox bleach, with the 4 X 96 oz bottles (of 6% Clorox) as determined by this site's pool calculator - bringing up the FC to 10 ppm. The Pool Perfect and scumballs in the skimmer have significantly reduced the oil film issue.

Do you think the CH being "a tad low" could be contributing to the foaming problem. It seems just a bit "soft", but not enough to correlate with the extensive foaming.

Thanks for the replies.

Normally, high calcium is a potential cause of foaming.

You do need to be aware of how the low calcium could adversely affect your pool finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.