high pitch whining sound from pump

Oct 7, 2010
People,

Just wondering- I just had my pump fitted with a new bearing say, 3-4 months ago, and sheesh, sounds like it may have failed already. Motor is making a loud high-ish pitch whining sound. It is still pumping OK, for now. Does it look like that bearing may have failed again?

Im mad at that shop, if so......

Thanks

Update: wow, it was the bearing on the front side. replaced it with help from a friend. Now, connected it up and no more whining sound, but a leak developed (may have been there before?) - it is right between the motor case and where it mee3ts the front square aluminum flange. Is that the white teflon seal? Geez, should have replaced it while it was on the bench......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, yanked the pump and popped out the seal. Not sure which to buy- Im sure they are not all the same size. My ceramic seal is ID 17mm. AND, not sure if this is right, but is this seal supposed to fit snugly onto the motor shaft? This seal fits over it but with much play/slop. 28mm is OD of the seal. How does one shop for these?

Thanks,
People

Well, the pump is a GE marathon 3/4 HP Stk # C 1244 (square aluminum flange), but I understand what matters is not the pump, but the plastic/fiberglass impeller assembly, as the seal sits into that.

I would need to know what pump you have to figure that out, what you have listed there is the motor. Now that tells me it's a square flange, but I'd still need to know what pump it is, say the brand is a Hayward, Pentair, Starite, Jandy, Jacuzzi, ect... and then whatever model it is under that brand.

OK, DB. All I can see is that the valve is Hayward vari- flow, and the filter is a tagelus sand, and there is no name stamped on the black impeller/basket unit. Isnt that stratnge- no name on that? Sorry, but thats all I can tell. Only other thing I can measure, if it helps, is the OD of the motor shaft- 0.625".

Does ID of seal have to be snug to the shaft, or have slop/play?

hehe, I was a scared you would ask that...LOL Im no good at pictures, but Im learning/trying to practice. I did learn though, DB, that it is a sta rite pump (a local p;lace figured it out), and he suggested a seal, the S200, and offered me a return if it didnt fit- it fitted! Im gonna write this down in my file so I wont have to guess in the future, DB. Still, I appreciate your personal concern/effort to help a fellow member. Thanks, Man. Oh, I will let you know if it actually stops the leak asap........

OK, so now, after al that, still have a leak- its clearly at the bottom where the 2 big circles meet. Probably the big 12" diameter or so O ring? Cant see any other culprit, so I will remove, lubricate again, and start it again.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.