New Pool Confusion!

Bowien

Feb 21, 2008
We are looking to buy a new pool, 30' x 54" ag. We have a old 15' x 30' oval. I am so confused after reading post on here for 4 hours! We have been to 3 pool places, man what a difference in types, filters, chemicals! The first place has a 27' x 52" pool with a pro-clean cartridge filter system 2hp/2speed pump & wants us to use baquacil, great price $4400.00 installed. The next place has a Vectra 30' x 54" pool with 300lb sand filter 1 1/2 hp pump, ultimate pool bottom & install & tax for $5700.00. We wanted to add a Nature 2 Express to it also (extra 150.00) (Any comments on this item appreciated too!) The last place has a Doughboy 30' x 52" with a 200lb sand filter 1 1/2hp timed pump, & has a bioguard silk program (?). I would like to hear from you experts on cartridge filter vs sand, what sizes ? What HP on the pump, single speed or dual? Baquacil, chlorine, or bioguard silk? and the added extra nature 2 express. I had such a hard time keeping the old pool clear, a pool guy told me just to put lots of chlorine in it & it would be good....it was clear most the time...but over time it ate everything! Now I now why the hoses, pump, liner didn't last long! I don't want to spend alot on chemicals, I've read that Bacuacil cost $75.00 - $100.00 a month & bioguard cost $50.00 to $75.00 a month. No pool store agreed on 1 kind, also has anyone heard of a automatic pool vacuum Glider? Is it better then a polaris 65? Any help is greatly appreciated, The filter types & chemicals are confusing.... I live in North Texas if that helps...
Thanks in advance,
David

Bowien, I'm no expert and I know more knowledgeable people will chime in but I'll give you my two cents. I've had two pools now for over eleven years. I had Bacquacil for a lot longer than most, nine years. Only the last two were pretty bad and I finally switched over to chlorine, the BBB method. My pool never looked this good using Bacquacil. I've read many posts on this site that states the bigger the filter the better and a smaller multi-speed pump seems to be the best. As to the filter, many posts say the cartridge filter is pretty good. I have a 300# sand filter with 1 1/2 hp pump and my water is sparkling all year round. I highly recommend starting with chlorine but I think the most important thing I learned on this site is do your own testing with a good test kit and the rest almost seems easy. For the last two years I have had to do little but add bleach to my pool when the chlorine level tested low. The pool stores test your water with only selling you something as their motive. I'll leave you with this and I'm sure you'll hear from others on the other parts of your question. Good luck with your new pool.

Lee

Welcome to TFP Bowien :)

We have an older IG guinite w/300# sand filter & 1.5 hp pump. Sand filters are easy to operate, too. Water stays sparkling clean and only run system about 6 to 8 hrs. per day during peak season. We use the BBB method. Cheap and easy :)

Very important to get a good water test kit and do your own water testing. Will save you time and money and will keep you out of the pool store where most of the things they sell, you will not need!

We are kinda newbies, too... third season w/pool. TFP is always here to help us should any problems arise. clpoolman had good info for you. Nothing like experience speaking!

Others will be along to help you with your decision. Good luck, and again, welcome :)

Joyce

One really important thing I learned on this forum (even though noone said this outright) is that the guy at my pool store (and probably most of the ones you talked to) are there to sell you chemicals and as much Crud as they can pile into your backyard. Fact is, most of what they tried to push on me when I bought my pool was stuff I really didn't need. One example that you mentioned was the nature 2. It might work, but you don't need it. Plus I read on here it turns your hair green because it adds copper to the water.

Do a lot of reading on this forum and you'll find out that you found a fantastic place to educate yourself on what you need and don't need and how to take care of your pool with minimum effort and maximum results. I haven't even set up my pool yet, but I feel confident that when I do I will go in with the knowledge to handle most any water situation I might encounter. Also, I believe this forum's members will save me huge piles of money on chemicals I don't have to use to keep the pool clean and safe.

Stick around and go slow and you'll have a good experience I believe. Check out the BBB section to get started.

Thanks for the replies so far! I'm still reading, now I'm curious about the Liquidator chlorine feeder, so far it looks like it's for IG pools. Can you use one for a AG pool? It sounds similar to chlorinator I have on my well water tank.
Thanks again & keep it coming!
David

forget the baquacrap, forget the nature2.Silk sticks are just expensive trichlor with a propriatary added water softening ingredient, possibly borax! forget them too. Read the stickies from the menu at the top of the page to learn about pool chemicals and maintenance. A sand filter is easier to maintain but does not filter as well as a cart. Two speed pump is nice but adds to the initial cost. How big a cart on the cart filter? An undersized one is going to be a horror to keep clean.
For pools in the size range you are looking at you really only need maybe a 1 hp with a sand filter. Cart should need about the same. A bigger pump will actually give you worse filtration.

The most important advice I can give you is to get a GOOD test kit!

I am with Waterbear on avoiding Baquacil and Nature2. Baquacil is very expensive and usually causes major problems after the first year or two. Nature2 adds copper to the water which can cause unsightly stains and does very little to keep the water safe to swim in.

I would aim for a smaller two speed pump and an oversized filter. Each kind of filter has minor advantages and disadvantages but they all work just fine. Personally I like sand filters, but others are partial to each of the other types.

I don't know about Nature2 ..... but I tried Baquacil for two years. Expensive stuff. Both years during the mid-late July heat I started having what looked like red algae growing in the skimmers, around the skimmer face plates and in some areas on the shady side (south wall) of the pool. Went back to chlorine and never had it again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.