32'x18'x11' custom freeform gunite
Appx 12,000 gal
87' perimeter incl spa
3' - 6' depth
baha shelf
three 12" flagstone scupper falls on 18" raised wall with separate pump
flagstone (Arizona Oak)
Gemstone plaster - Blue Diamond Opal Mini
6x6 frost proof tile waterline (NPT Roku Ocean)
Automatic Pour A Lid fill line, separate overflow

1 Pentair 4-speed Intelliflow for pool and spa
1 Pentair Wisperflow 1 hp for scuppers
1 Rainbow 320
1 Pentair 60 sq ft Quad DE filter
2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G
1 Pentair Legend Platinum (Hummer) with separate 3/4hp booster pump
2 deep end main drains
6 adjustable returns incl vac return jet
2 Bermuda surface skimmers
Borate Pool Harmonizer
Pentair Easy-Touch 8 function wireless
Compool wired 4-button sap-side control

29 sq. custom gunite spa (6' dia)
raised 18" above pool w/ exposed wall faced and capped with flagstone
3' flagstone multi-tiered spillway
1hp blower
400,000 BTU Master temp Heater, incl connection to meter
2 main drains in spa
1 Pentair Intellibrite 5g
air line and water line looped for max water and air pressure
insulated suction and return lines
6 Waterway Massaging jets with 2.5" upgraded suction

350 sq ft sundek spray decking
248 sq ft existing pation to be topped with Sundek Monterey Texture
2"-4" PVC drain sleeves and drains under walk/deck where necessary
2"-4" PVC drain sleeves in planters
35' Decco Drain where existing patio and house meet pool deck

Dig started Sept 2... 6-8 weeks est build time
The wife and I disagreed on tile choice...but I was overruled by the PB himself. I do value his opinion having seen so many pools so I went with it. I 'm hoping the blue water will bring out more of the blue in the tile and I think it probably will. I have never been a big fan of our brick color but we all felt it was important to have some tie-in with that. We were given our choice of Gemstone plaster and I was surprised to find that included the Designer Series which not only includes the mini-pebble but also the abalone shells which look really nice in the sun. The SunDek will be their 'Pewter' color which ties in with some of the greys in the brick as well. Like many, we are severely limited on decking on the backside of the pool because of easement, but we got every bit we could. Our landscaper is coming next week to start on some plans and to reroute out irrigation main so we can get water back to the front yard....the dig cut the main feed to front right in half..surprise! Overall, I'm very pleased with the progress at 4 weeks...

1pooldesign.jpg

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

pool3.jpg

pool4.jpg

pool5.jpg

Sep122011_0355.jpg

Sep122011_0359.jpg

Sep162011_0321.jpg

Sep162011_0328.jpg

Sep212011_0297.jpg

Sep212011_0301.jpg

Sep212011_0303.jpg

Sep222011_0283.jpg

Sep262011_0229.jpg

Sep262011_0243.jpg

Sep262011_0271.jpg

Sep262011_0277.jpg

Sep282011_0190.jpg

Sep282011_0205.jpg

Sep292011_0173.jpg

Gosh your pool is close to your house. Did you have to get a variance?

Around here, the outside of your coping (where the hole starts) has to be as far away from the house as the hole is deep (1' deeper than the pool). So for my 7.5 deep pool, the waterline has to be 9.5' away from the house. I'd prefer that my waterline be like 7' from the house.

It's 3' here...I was concerned about that too, but it is very common for pools in this area...When I was a kid we used to joke about opening a window to jump into my mom's pool.

Being a single story, we take up more of the lot size...so, we are pushed right to the edge of available space. We did a lot of extra planning for the drainage in that area..using 6" pipe and river rock in the bed. The pool itself ain't going anywhere being anchored in rock.

Looks great.

I'll say it before someone else says it. It looks like you plan to use tri-chlor pucks, or least you've installed an in-line feeder for the pucks. If that's your main source of chlorine be sure to keep an eye on the CYA level. If you haven't done so, you should read pool school.

Who's your PB and are you happy with them so far? I am in the process of deciding on a pool but am having a hard time chocking down the payment schedules from the quotes i've gotten so far. All PB's around SA have basically told me the same thing. This is why I think I am gonna go with the PB that has the best rep instead of the cheapest. Thanks for any input.

Spa getting closer to being finished
Oct012011_0441.jpg

Oct012011_0437.jpg

HouTex...Yes, not only read Pool School, but took notes... The PB includes Borates with the price (Pool Proof)...most builders in SA will not use SWG anymore. Thanks

Peter... We used Pool Concepts...Yes you're right about the rediculous draw schedules...all the PBs are using the same. Definitely do not go with the cheapest. I canot tell you how pleased we have been with PC....Great family owned company, always on time, willing to work on design until we were happy...If you'd like more info, send me a PM be glad to share the experience....Oh and on the payment schedule with these guys...I expressed concern, here's what they did.... a.) started layout before we even made 1st payment (10%), started dig same day as 1st payment, b.) second payment (40%) was due at excavation.....I paid that when we went in for our tile and stone selections - about 2 days before gunite. c) 3rd payment (45%) was due at gunite...I paid that Tuesday this week (2+ weeks after gunite and 90% of stone completed) and d.) will accept final payment AFTER we are satisfied with plastered and filled pool. For what its worth, these guys have never been late, never failed to show up, never failed to do anything I have asked, and have done more than we asked in many cases....for example the spa spillway was supposed to be '3 tiers'...but as you can see, there is alot more than three tiers there. So, I have no reason to believe that the lack of 'leverage' with the smallish 10% final payment is going to be an issue...anyway PM me if you need more info. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BTW, will I be able to use the extra slots in the bottom of the Easytouch panel to put in breakers for landscape lighting? It doesn't necessarily have to be controlled by the ET, but I need a sub panel to branch off some circuits for future use. Thanks

** I found the answer to that ^ in the Everything Else forum...

In other news...while looking through the pile of spent boxes the electrician left today, I noticed that the spa light box was for the White Intellibrite and not the 5g as we have in our contract...I can't tell by looking at the actual light fixture which one it might be...so I'm going to have to follow up on that one. The pool lights are both 5g's.

I'm also hoping that we are going to get some sort of manual for the Easytouch...looked in the empy box but didn't see it. Maybe they give us all the manuals during pool school...

The Sundeck guy came by this evening to get a look at the deck. They are covering the existing patio as well as the new deck so it will all tie together. Good to talk to him as he gave me a full run-down on how they apply it, durability, etc... Good to know they provide touch up material just in case..

Looking very good! all that rock in the ground looks great to me. We have too much clay soil, decking, pools, houses move and slip and break... no good.
You mentioned at the top you're not a huge fan of the house brick color but trying to tie in the colors anyway - nice choice - sometimes you see colors chosen which really clash. Even if it's not your 'perfect' color, at least it'll all look good together.

Odd that they will not use SWG - any particular reason? they rock. The pucks will cause issues if used exclusively as HouTex mentions!

Things have kind of slowed down over the last week...but we had cleanup and Sundek completed and we are ready for plaster tomorrow.
Oct132011_0519.jpg

Oct132011_0515.jpg

BTW, the sundek guys put the curved downspout back on which is incorrect...that gutter will go directly into the drain right below it...
Oct132011_0511.jpg

I KNOW! I am ready to have a margarita out there...Unfortunately, plaster has been postponed until Monday...PB wanted to give the Sundek more time to cure... At this point another 3 days won't kill me..
But I wanted to let everybody know that I ordered my TF-100 test kit yesterday... I also advised wifey to start looking for deals on bleach and baking soda. and I am so looking forward to visiting the pool store to get muriatic acid :twisted:
With the down time last week I have spent hours reading about BBB and I am really psyched to put it into practice after we get everything balanced out by the PB...the Rainbow 320 will be shut off and used only for vacations.

Hopefully I will have plaster pics for y'all on Monday evening :goodjob:

Wow, 95% payment due at gunite? Not sure I would have done that, but glad it has worked out for you. I have gc'd my pool myself and hold majority of payments until work is complete.

I have learned that the guys who can't manage their money also can't manage their work scheduling for the most part. Pool looks awesome!

I think the setback requirements for pools from the house have to do with foundation settlement concerns, and with yours pretty much resting on solid rock, it's not going anywhere...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.