attitude: ag vs ig

Jul 23, 2007
pacific nw
have to say this is one of the politest forums i've come across..we live in the pacific nw where the pool season is 3-4 months of the year at best, so it honestly makes sense to go with an aboveground pricewise, we plan to do lots of landscaping to cover the sides of the deck built around the pool. some groups i've come across keep talking about "build yourself a real pool" & not really helpful when an ag ?? is asked. my pool is 27 ft round, 17,000 gals so does require a bit more maintenance than some of the smaller ig pools but hey i love sun & water! anyone have any experiences or comments.. this is a neat group, i notice someone almost always has a positive comment for posters

AG pools can fit into a yard and look as nice as any inground. It may take a little more creative thinking with plants but you can see great examples on the slideshow on the homepage of this forum. I am quite envious of the talent people demonstrate when blending their pools in with their specific environment.

I love the Pacific NW. I would've moved there (Oregon, in particular) several years ago had I been able to persuade my recalcitrant wife. No luck.

Wecome colormesummer.

There is nothing wrong with a AG. Alot of problems IG pools have so do Ag pools.

Only one suggestion I have is to make sure your pool is "kid proof". The four foot walls of the AG act like a fence. If you have a deck level with the top of the pool walls, have some type of locking gate.

Good luck on your build; let us know how it is going; and pictures...... this group likes lots of pictures.

I agree 100% with the above statements. Some of my best childhood memories were from time spent playing in AG pools where I grew up in Illinois. As a kid, I couldn't have cared less if it was AG or IG.

As an adult, like duraleigh said, AG can have a fantastic look. I'm very envious of some of the great decks that some of our members have posted.

Richard, that's a great safety tip! Mind if I use it in the TFP Newsletter?

Safty and insurance are both key there, an above ground will be less to insure since you cand just fall in and drown, AND they are not usually as deep .

if you really want an inground, i say go for it, your possibilties are endless. but with that short of season an above ground is pratical, but im not pratical, but you may be :eek: so do what you feel is right. although from the info given already, an above ground just makes sense.

Hi colormesummer in my eyes it isn't about the lights the spillways or in ground or above it has all to do with the kids, the high school graduations, the college graduations and the family get together's having the kids friends over instead of the kids somewhere else. I have had years of this and it would be just the same with a in ground pool above ground or a pond. for me it is all about family and they keep coming back. I wouldn't be able to tell you how Manny hamburgers, hot dogs, I have cooked over the years but i did it for one reason for the people i love. I joined this forum shortly after it started and I will say questions are answered with all the respect people deserve. I have never noticed any difference in one pool verses another.
I would also like to add i am 57 years old and my daughter is three I am writing this right now with Kleenex on my head as a hat, a tie rope from a robe around my neck for a scarf and watching Tom and Jerry. Life is good.
Ric W. :-D

I live in MN so we get about the same amount of summer as you do. I had the same thoughts about price vs amount of use so I went with an AG as well and couldn't be happier with it. Would I like an IG with all the frills? sure, but the kids haven't asked to have an IG put in, they think this is the best pool in the world and nobody's is better than this one. I also went with an expandable liner and put a 6' deep end in. so it's some what like a IG. I don't think the kids were out of it more than 1 week total all summer. Do what works for your budget and have fun they're worth the money in my eyes!

This is what mine looked like before I finished putting flowers,shrubs and different lighting in. I did all the work myself and think it turned out nice!! :p

Plus with an AG pool you don't have to worry about snakes,mice or frogs in your skimmer like all the people with IG pools complain about. :poke: LOL :lol:

Welcome to TFP!

While we do get passionate about our pools we hardly ever get snarky or snipe at each other. No point to it. We're here to learn from each other and in that TFP is THE best!

Here's our AG pool:

07w.jpg

Yeah, we kinda like it :)

Yes, it really is very pretty up there.

We had interviewed another PB who wanted to put an inground in the backyard nearer the house. Our property is very hilly with but a small level area, long but narrow, and we use that to play fetch with the dogs. This PB would have dug a hole right next to our parking lot, then would have had to build a retaining wall to hold back the hill, would have eliminated the dog yard entirely, and our view would have been cars on one side and retaining wall on the other.

His comment was, "I can build three ingrounds for the time it'll take to put your AG up on that hill." We concluded that he and we would not be happy doing business.

With the deck design we have it looks and feels almost like an inground. We purposely left the one side un-decked for the view. In summer, I put pots of canna along the side and their foliage pretty much hides the sides of the pool and the struts.

Now what I want to do is build a room around the whole thing, like Autumn_Girl's. I lust after that setup!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We put in a fiberglass pool 2 years ago and really enjoy it. However, if I had to do it all over again I would probably go with an above ground.

I found the whole process of getting estimates, dealing with the township and the installation itself to be entirely too stressful. Plus, it is really expensive for something you really only use 3-4 months a year depending on where you live (I'm in PA).

Finally, and I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but after 10, 15, 20 years you may not want a pool and all the work and upkeep that comes with it. With an above ground you can just take it down and not feel like you've wasted a ton of money.

tlbb

Here is my above ground 24'x48" pool.

I put it up myself with my DH, the two kids and best friend. 8)

I want to add to the land scaping around it amd maybe add some pavers, plants and river rock.

So many ideas...

We went through the same issues here, while I loved the look of an inground, I had real difficulty with any builder promising "the cement" will not crack or anything..I live above Maine and have a winter of lots of snow an deep frost.

So I went with an Inground, but got the builder to raise it 1 foot out of the ground, I then was able to put in a cedar deck which I built and know nothing will ever go wrong with, and if it does..its a matter of pulling up some boards to get to the problem. Our neighbors have an inground pool, and the cement around it is nothing but toe breakers with all the rises and dips.

Here is how ours looks.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 476
Yep, you can have and enjoy any kind of pool you want. We have a bit more than 2' water table so INground in our spot is not possible. Our well is only 7' deep!

We love our pool for the few months of the year we get to use it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.