Loss of Free Chlorine

jreedich

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, FL
I am having a problem with the loss of FC. I will bring up the Chlorine to 4.0 using bleach and the next day there is no FC at all in the pool. This just started about a month ago. Something is eating my FC. Water is clear. Since we have had a lot of rain over the past month, I have had to add CYA twice. I had to pump off about 6 to 8 inches of water in the past month. I figure that is where the CYA went.
Here are my current readings, pool store readings and Goal.
TF100 Tests Pool Store Tests Goal Readings
FC 0 0 4
CC 0 0 0
TC 0 0 4
Ph 7.6 7.6 7.5
TA 80 80 100
CH 240 270 260
CYA 50 75 80 (according to Aquarite)
SALT 3120 2900 3200

Pool calculator says to do the following:
Add 83 oz of 6% bleach
Add 3.1 oz Muratic Acid
Add 47 oz baking soda
Add 30 oz calcium chloride
Add 7 lbs salt

This is the first time I have had an SWG. Ran the diagnostics for what it is worth they seem to be ok. No lights on the Aquarite other than normal operation. Checked right at the return and there is chlorine being generated. I have the Aquarite set to 50%. Used the pool calculator for TF100 results and not the pool store results. The CYA measuments are way different. Did the test twice with another set of eyes. It still comes out to 50.

What is your opinion of the pool calculator suggestions? Should I super chlorinate ? Should I clean the cell? I just do not understand why I am lossing FC over night? Are my goal settings OK?

Sorry for the multiple questions.

Right now there is something using up all your chlorine, most likely ammonia. You need to shock the pool until you can hold an FC level overnight, which will burn off whatever it is that is using up your chlorine.

The Pool Calculator isn't really suggesting anything. You need to setup the target levels based on what you want to do. Those "recommendations" are simply using whatever happens to be in the target levels. Right now your PH TA CH and Salt levels are all find, so there is no point in adjusting them. CYA should be higher for use with a SWG (trust your own readings, not the pool store readings), but don't raise CYA until you are done shocking the pool.

Nothing you have said suggests any problem with your SWG. Once you get things sorted out the SWG will most likely be able to maintain things from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.