Is using Bluestone coping/deck a bad idea with SWG?

msg73

Sep 22, 2011
I already have a Bluestone patio and would love to have it around my pool to keep it all in the same stone, but I was leaning towards a quartzite patio/coping for around the pool due to concerns of erosion from the SWG. My pool builder said I can he can install a Bluestone patio/coping along with some pop-up sprinklers in the joints to cool the stone and rinse off any splash out.

The stonework is not cheap so I want to make sure it will last. Should I still be concerned given the above? Is Bluestone considered a soft or hard stone?

Thanks,
Mike

I would be more concerned about the temperature of the stone. You'll have a hard time walking on it. The stone will be VERY hot during the summer. I have bluestone all around my pool second deck and concrete around the pool deck. I also ran a buff sandstone pattern down the middle for walking on the bluestone deck. I've also got PA Bluestone as my coping around my hot tub and haven't seen any evidence of erosion for the one year it's been on the hot tub. I too have a saltwater pool. So far so good...

While I'm not familiar with the exact stone, pictures on Google look like a slate. I wouldn't do it! Stones that are high in clay, like slate, will tend to absorb lots of water when wet, which can cause them to flake...badly! Slate showers tend to fall apart quickly, so I wouldn't use it for pool coping.

Well, I've had my entire porch down in PA Bluestone for over 10 years and I haven't noticed any type of flaking, but it isn't exposed to any saltwater either. It looks as good as it did when I first laid it except for the grouting.
It really comes down to the actual Bluestone you are using.
I have certainly taken a close look at my coping for the last year after reading all the threads in here about flagstone/bluestone/etc. Time will only tell... I stress again, it depends on the type of bluestone you are using. I've seen many coping pictures with bluestone on this site. I think you're much safer with a deck in bluestone than coping with respect to degradation. I haven't yet seen any flaking with my bluestone and mine is PA Bluestone - multi-color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.