New Purchase

kmb997

Jun 13, 2007
New Orleans
I'm about to buy a 21' round and would like to know what to look out for? I want to know if there are things that would improve the pool like adding an extra return line or adding a center drain or anything similar? Most pools here come with a single return and I don't know if having 2 would be worth the extra cost? I would like to have some kind of fountain, so would adding an extra return be good for circulation? Is skimmer size important? Here, they vary from 6" to 14"? Is bigger better?

Thanks

Wall/Frame: An aluminum pool lasts much longer than a steel pool or even a steel pool with a resin frame. However they are more expensive.

Center Drain: The center drain has pros and cons. It does improve circulation and makes the pool easier to drain. However you don't drain pools that often. The con is it is hard to make any repairs if you get a gasket or pipe leak. Overall it's better not to get the drain.

2nd Return: If you want to have a fountain I would get a second return jet with a 3-way valve. That way you can keep the fountain hooked up even when you don't want it on and you can send full power to it when it's not in use.

The majority of pools right now are all shipping with widemouth skimmers. The widemouth skimmers do scale back to the same size as the standards however they do provide a bit better circulation. Two return jets pre-drilled from the factory are also becoming pretty common.

What brands/models are you looking for?

I have been to 3 pool stores and will be going to 2 more, soon. I don't know the brands that have been quoted, right now, but I will post as soon as I can. Do you think it is better to order online than local. I'm pretty sure I won't be buying the package that comes with the pool anyway. I posted in the equipment forum about pump/filter sizing. Does the pump size matter if I get the second return? I want to have good circulation.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.