PVC Ball Valve Sun Exposure

carlos31820

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 22, 2010
Midland, Georgia
Our in-ground pool was built last winter. I noticed that one of my two PVC ball valves (red handle type), is showing significant fading of the handle after just one summer. Should I be concerned with this? I guess I could rig something to cover the valves so they're not in full sun. I also noticed that the top of the grey electrical piping and junction boxes on the house wall are turning dark brown from the sunlight.

This happens in high UV areas like Arizona and Texas. The outside of the valve is less of a concern than the inside. The handle might break as it weakens and the valve gets old, so protecting it would help.

Here in AZ all the plumbing is painted to protect it from UV damage. It only takes a quick coat from a spray can to do the job.

How are your plastic valves holding out?

I am also in a high uv area, but even after painting my valves, the red handles broke.
If I had no intention to automate my valves, can anyone say whether Pegler valves (which are locally available) are suitable for use with a salt water pool?

It looks like this : http://www.ukhps.co.uk/products/Pegler-Lever-Valve.html

I have had good longevity with them for domestic supply, but I am unsure with the salt that's a problem.

Otherwise, I might just have to spring for the Jandys.

thanks.

All my valves are Jandy type valve and they are fine. Well there are two of the ball type with the red handles on the pipes going to and from my solar panels but they have never been turned off since installation. The handles are unpainted so I'm sure they would break if I tried.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.