How To Hide My Equipment Pad?

Nov 1, 2010
Eastern WA
Looking for ideas as how to conceal my pool equipment.
Pad size = 4' X 6'.

My thoughts for hiding the equipment:
I'm not to concerned about the "noise" because I run the pump during the night hours (unless we have a heavy swim). My concern is protecting the equipment from the sun (and maybe because it's ugly). It receives sun from 10:30 am to 6:00 pm and the summer highs can reach 100 degrees. I recently went through all the connections stopping even the smallest drips/leaks and painted the PVC. I want easy dis-assembly of the structure in order to provide access to all components for easy repair/maintenance. Lastly I think proper airflow is in order to keep the pump motor cool.

20110926090644.jpg

Left to Right:
Patio area.
Filter (duh).
Blue lockers where the kids store goggles, flippers and such.
Living room window.

20110926090829.jpg

You can see the setup is right off the patio near the shallow end. There is a gate in the distance that we prefer guests use when coming over. I plan on making a paved path through the grass leading to the pool area.

I'd build a 3 sided box with sloping lid using 2x4's for the frame and covered with similar paneling and 1x4 trim as the house, then paint to match the house (including white trim). The lid would be sloping (sort of like the lockers) to move rain away from the box. And then I'd add small casters on the bottom so that I could easily roll it away (pull out from house) for servicing. The box would be rolled into place flush with the wall, but below the pump timer box. You may have to move the other j-box to make this work. Since the box would be three sided, there would still be enough air circulation, and since the box would not be completely flush with the ground, cool air would circulate and vent at the top at the back of the box. The hinged lid would allow for simple servicing without having to move the box away from the wall.

This post is long over due...I thought I updated it.

Here's what I came up with...The boards are spaced with large gaps for air flow.
img20130513080140.jpg

There are 2 hinged boards for access to valves and such for start up or vacuuming.
img20130513080222.jpg

This board has a spring to keep the wind from opening it.
img20130513080249.jpg

Plenty of workspace.
img20130513080442.jpg

img20130513080433.jpg

Isaac-1 said:
Looks good, I am not sure how much exposure protection it really offers though
Thanks...The equipment is completely shaded which was my primary concern. During the winter I disassemble most of the equipment and store it in the pool house. Not much rain protection but it's sure nicer to look at...Plus it keeps little ones from being near the hot motor!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.