AQUA EZ WINTER-AID?

BadOleRoss

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2011
Lynchburg VA
I have a few gallons of this stuff that I picked up last year when I found them on clearance for $1.00 each before I found BBB. I plan on adding poly quat to my pool when I close it......can I use this stuff as well so it does not go to waste or am I better off selling it off at a yard sale? My main concern is any negative affects it will have on my pool.

BadOleRoss said:
The container says it is Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride and Cationic Polymer.
It's an algeacide and clarifier respectively. That particular algeacide is not very effective and causes foaming but at least it doesn't add any copper or other metals. If I'm not mistaken it will also eat up chlorine. Negative effects aside, I don't see any positive effects other than the shed space gained by their removal.

BadOleRoss said:
If it eats up my chlorine that is a pretty big side affect. I will already be adding poly quat and bringing the pool up to shock level so it sounds like this stuff might need to go in the yard sale pile.
Polyquat will affect chlorine also. Here's a post by chem geek who wrote to Buckman Labs (the makers of most PolyQuat products) that goes into detail on closing a pool with Polyquat. Keep in mind that the manufacturers recommended shocking levels are on the low side and don't take into account the CYA levels like we do here.

I plan on closing with Polyquat this year. I'm going to wait till the water is in the 50 to 60 degree range. Adjust PH then shock according to my CYA/CHLORINE ratio and wait till my chlorine drops by half. Then add the recommended amount of Polyquat and run the filter for 48 hours on recirculate. I'll check chlorine levels again and bring it back up to half the shock level if needed then button it up.

Anytime we talk shock levels here I automatically assume we are taking CYA into account. After being here this year there is no reason to do otherwise. I am closing my pool almost the same way you are doing your but I am planning on bringing it back up to full shock level on that final step. Is there any reason you are only bringing it back up to half?

BadOleRoss said:
Anytime we talk shock levels here I automatically assume we are taking CYA into account. After being here this year there is no reason to do otherwise. I am closing my pool almost the same way you are doing your but I am planning on bringing it back up to full shock level on that final step. Is there any reason you are only bringing it back up to half?
I'm going off this post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.