Pump Overheating

Mar 28, 2010
So I have a 20,00 gallon inground pool with spa that I got with my new house 2 years ago. The pool pump has been working fine, but has always gotten pretty hot. Almost too hot to touch. It's a Hayward Super Pump II with a 1 1/2 HP motor model C48L2N134B3. Recently the pump started leaking a little bit so it was suggested that I replace the seals. Got a new set of seals, however the impeller was practically fused with the motor so I ended up destroying it to get it off. When I went to replace it, I found out that the impeller/diffuser were for a 3 HP motor. I ended up getting the same one since that was working before. Anyway, I got it all put back together being very careful to put everything in the correct way. But now the pump overheats to the point of shutting off. I checked everything and it all turns smooth with no rubbing or strange noises. After doing some research I'm thinking that the oversized impeller with the 1 1/2 HP motor is the problem. Looking for someone to confirm this. Also, would I need a 1 1/2 HP impeller or a 3 HP motor to make this work?

Oh, and after all this the pump still leaks.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I replace the impeller with a 1 1/2 HP one and the pump is working now. It gets up to 145 degrees, which I still think is too hot. But it stays there and doesn't overheat anymore and my pool is clean again.

If you think it may still be overloading you can look at the amp rating on the motor and check what the motor is drawing with an amp probe. It should not be drawing over the name plate amps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.