Pentair UltraTemp Heat pump - Suction temp?

pmcfad

Jun 22, 2011
Columbus, NJ
I have a new Pentair UltraTemp Heat pump, and I am having trouble understanding the menu screens. In general the heater seems to be working fine, but the temperature readings seem inconsistent. On the running unit, the Pool Run Screen shows the following:

POOL HEATING F
SET=85 ACT=84

However, when I press the MENU button to cycle through the display, I come across a screen that displays:

SUCTION TEMP
ACTUAL = 62

The pool certainly does not feel like 62, but it's not 84 either. I don't have a regular pool thermometer to compare it to. My question is, why is there such a radical difference between the 'actual' temperatures?

Thanks in adavance...

~Paul Mc

I think that the suction temperature refers to refrigerant temperature, not water temperature. The actual temperature should be the pool water temperature.

You need to get a thermometer to check the actual temperature of the pool water for comparison. Is the pump and heater on? Is the heat pump getting sufficient water flow?

As long as the water is being circulated enough, there will not be more than one or two degrees difference between the top and bottom water temperature. The top 12 inches can be somewhat warmer than below, but it should not be much.

JamesW said:
I think that the suction temperature refers to refrigerant temperature, not water temperature. The actual temperature should be the pool water temperature.

You need to get a thermometer to check the actual temperature of the pool water for comparison. Is the pump and heater on? Is the heat pump getting sufficient water flow?

As long as the water is being circulated enough, there will not be more than one or two degrees difference between the top and bottom water temperature. The top 12 inches can be somewhat warmer than below, but it should not be much.

Hmm you may be right but I would think the refrigerant on the cold side would be in the 40s. I will have to check my manual when mine comes in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.