Another Chlorine Question

Gardog

Feb 17, 2008
I have a 28' round 5' deep AGP. I use a test kit purchased from Wal Mart. When I test the chlorine, the color is reddish orange. Does this mean my chlorine level is really high? My PH test's at 7.6.

Yes, the drop test where you compare the color to a range of yellows turns first orange and then red as the chlorine level gets above the range the test was designed for. Red/orange is quite high. Without a color standard to compare to it is impossible to say just how high but quite likely well above 10.

This is when the FAS-DPD test in the TF Test Kit and Taylor K-2006 comes in handy. They can give accurate readings up to 25 or more.

Had to contend with high CYA all last year so I had chlorine levels all the way up to 40ppm at times during shocks.

Just to be clear, this is for the basic OTO tests. Reddish orange shows up roughly between 15-40ppm. Starts to become dark yellow as it gets closer to 10 and below.

What you don't want to see is the test turn to a dark brownish color. That pretty much means FC levels are way above 50ppm, according to another pool forum I read.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.