Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another Chlorine Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Another Chlorine Question

I have a 28' round 5' deep AGP. I use a test kit purchased from Wal Mart. When I test the chlorine, the color is reddish orange. Does this mean my chlorine level is really high? My PH test's at 7.6.
    28' round 23k gallon AGP Vinyl Liner
    1.5 hp pump,Sand Filter,Polaris 65 8 gallon Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2
    Yes, the drop test where you compare the color to a range of yellows turns first orange and then red as the chlorine level gets above the range the test was designed for. Red/orange is quite high. Without a color standard to compare to it is impossible to say just how high but quite likely well above 10.

This is when the FAS-DPD test in the TF Test Kit and Taylor K-2006 comes in handy. They can give accurate readings up to 25 or more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Had to contend with high CYA all last year so I had chlorine levels all the way up to 40ppm at times during shocks.

Just to be clear, this is for the basic OTO tests. Reddish orange shows up roughly between 15-40ppm. Starts to become dark yellow as it gets closer to 10 and below.

What you don't want to see is the test turn to a dark brownish color. That pretty much means FC levels are way above 50ppm, according to another pool forum I read.
    22,000 gal in-ground, 3-8ft
    Cartridge filter
    Pebble Tec resurfaced
    Polaris 360