Pool completely resurfaced

Jun 6, 2011
After several years and three "leak experts" I finally gave up on trying to patch the never ending leak problem and had my pool completely resurfaced.
I gambled that it wasn't a plumbing problem and was rewarded with a beautifully looking and LEAK FREE pool!!!!.
The restorer gave me a list of instructions most notably to keep the ph at 7.2 for two weeks.
I said "fine" i'll check it daily....He said not to do it daily but rather twice weekly due to "instability" I said ok.
He finished the pool two days ago. i checked the ph yesterday and it was 7.2.
Last night we had a downpour. The pool rose about 1/2 inch. Experience has taught me that the rain increases the ph, so I checked again this morning and it was through the roof. Over 8.
So of course I added acid.
My inpulse is to check the ph again tomorrow, but his words keep haunting me "don't check it daily...just twice a week." Y'all here have kept my pool sparkly and have solved many serious problems for others. Believe me i don't want to undo what this guy did...it was a great job but the level was way too high to ignore for even a day.
Advice please.....

Logic would seem to be in your favor. If 7.2 is good (and it is), why not keep it there? It sounds like you have a good rapport with the re-finisher so tell him you need some clarification as to checking it more frequently.

I will say that often on the forum we tend to overthink and micromanage some issues.

It is probably just fine to let your pH rise for a day or so before bringing it back down but, if you want to check and adjust it more frequently, I see absolutely nothing but benefit from doing so.

Fresh plaster can raise the PH very very quickly for the first little while. You want to keep the PH between 7.2 and 8.0. Sometimes, after lowering the PH to 7.2 it will be over 8.0 in less than 24 hours. When that happens, you need to add acid more than once a day. Once you have a couple of days experience with it you will have a much better idea of how often the PH needs to be adjusted. Then after three or four weeks the rate of PH increase will go down, and you will be able to adjust the PH less often.

Fresh plaster can raise the PH very very quickly for the first little while.

good to know...Really I was shocked to see how it jumped from 7.2 to over 8 in just one day.
Yes, I will test daily and add acid as needed.
thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.