Beaded steps VS Rod Pockets

beaded steps? You mean like the white fiberglass/plastic steps with the gasket? I personally hate vinyl covered steps with the rod pockets. Installation is harder but I dislike them more so because the pool vinyl isn't the ideal pool step material in my eyes. The vinyl covered steps always have gaps and if you ever get a leak there it will loose water quickly. The top vinyl steps end up shrinking and getting tight which isn't good for an area you are going to be walking on.

I think that by "beaded steps" he means covered with vinyl liner, and held in place by a bead (tab) on the back side of each step (I think in the corner where each tread meets the next riser going up), which fits into a bead receiver incorporated into the step support system behind it.

I can't seem to find much info/pictures on the internet thoroughly describing these two methods on steps either. If anyone on here has some it would be great to see them!

Are you recommending the plastic steps with gasket? I've seen some people vinyl over them when they eventually crack or leak, and assumed these were less desirable; but I don't know for sure...

edit: just found this on the beaded step:
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkennedy74# ... J0Z7qaiKj0

I've only seen the rod pocket type. Anyways,yes I prefer the fiberglass / plastic steps with a gasket. It is possible for them to crack but it's usually the pool builders fault for not properly supporting the steps from underneath with back fill. Regardless I've fixed cracks in the steps before with fiberglass and painted them white with epoxy paint. The steps that crack usually feel very hollow, its all about supporting the steps. Even with that being said I much prefer those style steps to vinyl covered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.