New Pump Suggestions

Jul 9, 2011
I just closed my pool for the year. I have a 28,000 gallon inground pool. I will need to replace my pump next year. It's about 10 years old (original with house) and really sucks the energy (1 1/2 HP). I am looking at the possibility of an energy efficient pump (possible the IntelliFlo). I've read up on it and it sounds really promising. I'm curious do they really save that much energy to be worth the extra $1,000 in costs? What are typical life spans of these pumps? Anyone that has experience with them or any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Need to do some reading in Pool school, but in short -

something like the Intelliflo usually only makes sense as a replacement when you have pretty high (> $.20/KWh) electric rates. Using a 2 speed pump gets you most of the benefits with a considerably lower upfront cost (although you would also need to factor a bit more sophisticated motor control than just a simple timer) - the better automation system that can handle this should be $200-$300.

I should have followed my own advice when I got my replacement pump this summer - but at least I did get a High Effiecncy single speed 1.5 HP model.

I'm sure you will see others that have even better advice.

Pump lifetime is fairly variable, 7 to 15+ years. It mostly depends on how protected from the elements the pump is. A pump outdoors in the Texas sun won't last nearly as long as a pump inside a shed.

Do you have a spa or any water features? They will require a larger pump. A basic pool can get by with a very small pump, but a spa or large waterfall can require a rather large pump. Smaller pumps cost less to run.

For a basic pool a dual speed can save you about 50% of your electric bill. A variable speed will save more, typically 60% to 90%, though savings around 90% are rare. How much you can save in dollars very much depends on your electric rates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.