Is my Intex pump operateing my fafco panel efficiently???

BBBliever

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2011
Central Califorina
Just put up a 4x20 fafco panel for my 2000 gallon ABP in California. I have the panel mounted on a rack with the inlet at 9 feet high. The pump/filter is the Intex 1/2 HP 1600 GPH.

I was worried the pump would not support the panel especially 9 feet high. All seems to be working great. I know there is at a minimum 700 GPH flow as the SWCG will not support less.

As this is my first experience with a solar panel I was curious if it was operating at peak efficiency. According to what I have heard each panel needs needs 4 to 8 gallons per minute or a maximum of 480 GPH flow. I estimated my flow around 1000 GPH.

I understand the concept that a cool panel equates to peak efficieny. yesterday my panel was not completely cool anthough the pool water flowing through the panel was 92 and ambient air was 98 with the panel in full sun.

I was just curious how cool the panel should feel in the heat of the summer. With the water off you could cook an egg on the panel. Also is it possible to have to much flow. I have the "flex flow" bipass valve. If the solar is wide open will it compensate for too much flow?

Re: Is my Intex pump operateing my fafco panel efficiently??

If I am understanding which style of panel you have, there is a red valve handle in the middle of one of the short ends of the panel. You normally turn that handle until the filter pressure goes up about 5 psi from the pressure when the handle is parallel with the pipe to get the optimum water flow. Turning the handle all the way at right angles to the pipe, so that all of the water goes through the panel, will over pressurize the panel and greatly shorten it's lifetime.

The panel should be only a couple of degrees above the temperature of the pool water once it has been running for a little while.

Re: Is my Intex pump operateing my fafco panel efficiently??

Jason, thank you for the response. What you described is the panel I have. I have been running closer to 1000 gph as opposed to the 480 gph it is rated for.

I believe the gauge on my intex sand filter is calibrated differently than a normal gauge. It has green/yellow/red zones and the green zone goes up to 5 psi. Normal psi after a backwash without the panel would be about 2 psi. With the panel on it jumps to 4 psi.

I guess for now I will back off on the diverter valve about 30% and see how that effects water temp. Maybe I will try to replace the psi gauge on the intex sand filter. Hopefully the gauge's threads aren't metric pitch like the intex fittings.

On a positive note. It looks like this "toy" filter/pump that I bought for $60 would support 2 fafco panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.