New house, new pool owner, need advice...

Sep 21, 2011
We just moved into a new house with an inground pool. We've never owned pools, and this is all new to us. I've done a fair amount of research and reading online (including the Pool School), but I have a question. I am sure it is the first of many!

The previous owner drained the pool below the skimmers, turned off the pump, and covered the pool back in August before we moved in. From what I've read, this was way too early. By now, of course, the pool has already begun to grow algae - I did a quick test that showed no FC and other levels off as well. So...

From what I can tell, my only restorative option, at this point, would be to fill the pool, shock it, restore levels, then properly close it. However, that seems like a lot of work and expense that I could simply do next spring instead. Do I need to do this now, or should I simply let it go until spring and do it all then?

Any advice would be welcome.

Yeah, I would think you are finished with the season up there so I would just leave it until next Spring.

It will take more chlorine probably but nothing that can't be dealt with and that'll give you the winter to read all of Pool School so you can shock the pool properly when it's time.

As long as the PH isn't wildly out of range, I would leave it till next spring. In the spring, open the pool relatively early, while the water is still in the 50s, and cleaning up the algae will be relatively simple (algae grows more slowly when the water is cold).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.