Anyone use Anthony&Sylvan in the northern NJ area?

msg73

Sep 22, 2011
I live in Bergen county, NJ and wanted to get some feedback for those in my area that have used Anthony & Sylvan to build your pool. I've talked with several pool builders and A&S prices were MUCH less than everyone else.

Also, the patio will be Tennessee Crab Orchard and the sub-contractor's name they are using is Carlo V. (Italian man, looks to be in his 50's). Does anyone have any experience with Carlo?

Thanks,
Mike

~$165k versus ~$120k

The major cost items are:
- 800sqft free form in ground gunite pool with sun shelf and aggregate finish (Sunstone Select or Hydrazzo)
- 50sqft raised (~18") spa/patio with two steps on each side of the spa
- 1200sqft of Tennessee Crab Orchard for the pool deck/patio/coping
- ~620 ft of fencing (price around $11k from a couple a different places)
- ~$10k for site plan, seepage pit, re-routing of electric/gas/water

The pool, sun shelf, raised spa, remote, cleaner robot and sunstone select finish comes out to just under $60k
The stonework is $32/sqft, so $32*1200sqft = $38,400
The fence is $11k
Gas, electric, water hookup is $1700
Re-routing existing gas, electric, water is $4k
Engineering/site plan is $1k
Seepage/Drainage pit $4k

Total is around $120k for an A&S pool. I know it may seem high compared to other areas of the country, but around here that's fairly cheap. As I said earlier, 4 other local pool builders quoted at least $165k

This is why I really need feedback from my area in order to compare apples to apples.

Here is my take on A&S anywhere in the country. I am in Atlanta and I worked as a sub for A&S from 96- 06. I hated to dig for them. The lies that were told and the promises made were sometimes borderline criminal. Someone is going to chime in here and say they are different in different states. To the point, they are a corporation and as most corporations, attitiudes trickle down. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! . A&S does not have some magical line on products that the mom and pop builders can't get. They do have some buying power but 28% is hard to swallow. I would allow each PB to look at the other's proposal. White out the numbers's and put all the details on the table. I can't tell you how many times that I have asked this of my clients only to point out that if I would build a pool the way my competition does I could be at the same price but I am not interested in building a sub par product. For $45k there is something missing or being overlooked. The other thing that would scare me away form A&S is the fact that they have closed offices all over the country this year. Maybe they are retreating until the economy gets better or there may be more to it.

A&S in central NJ, my area, builds a nice pool usually. Project management is generally pretty poor and finger pointing is the norm. Usually, the plumbers get it right but not always. I don't like that they field form the drain pots. They aren't the premium builder they used to be in the 60s/70s.

Tennessee Crab is pretty soft stuff. I suggest you look at a different coping. The deck may flake too. It is a pretty stone though.

Scott

I have found Tennessee Crab Orchard sandstone to be very strong and durable. I think that it is a good choice for coping and decking. The stone does not get as hot as other stone or concrete. It is slip resistant and does not need to be sealed. It has a very high concentration of silica instead of calcium carbonate. The high concentration of silica makes the stone very hard and resistant to weathering.

I suggest getting a 2-inch thick stone for strength.

My 2004 pool was built by A&S in NNJ (Green Brook office, but done out of Pennsylvania.) PoolGuyNJ pretty much has it right. Shell/coping seems very well-done and is still perfect after seven years. Plumbing equipment was all Pentair or Waterway and is still going strong. That's the good news.

Bad news is project management was non-existent and delays were constant. I had permit in February and they barely got it done by mid-June. No one ever had an idea when anything was going to be done. Plumbing was poorly done, placed on the side of a hill and threads were glued in. The whole thing fell over in the first good rain storm. They did a half-assed job putting it back together. I redid it all myself the second year, turned the filter around, installed unions, and got it right. No problems since.

The biggest disaster was post-fill quality assurance. There was somebody assigned as liaison right up to the fill, whereupon he disappeared. One guy in Pennsylvania, with one extension that was never answered, was responsible for all post-build follow-up. No one else would talk to you--they just referred you to the unanswered extension. You could leave messages, but he never called you back. Problem resolution (and there were a few) was a nightmare.

Summary: I ended up with a good pool at a good price, but it was a nightmare getting there. Maybe they have improved since 2004, but I doubt it. I do not recommend. I am very glad I used them only for the pool itself, I would have gone crazy if they had reponsibility for anything beyond the coping.

Other comments: They put all the returns in the shallow end. They did all 2" plumbing, including the filter internals on the Waterway DE filter. They just threw the equipment manuals on the trash heap--I had to rescue them as stuff arrived.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am in North Texas, and considered A&S to build my pool. They do seem to have a very strong sales and marketing team, but that is exactly what steered us away. We got a quote from them and we also got a quote/design from Hobert pools. Our initial experience with A&S was all about the sales pitch. They were very knowledgeable about the building process, if one does not know better and does not compare PBs, then I would have gone with them based on what they promised. BUT..... the day after I got the quote and "design" (or lack of one, as it was VERY POORLY made) we spoke with Hobert. They REALLY worked with us on the spot to get the design we wanted and the features. We literally met with them one afternoon and made tons of changes to the design on his computer and signed the contract that evening. A&S insisted that I give them a check for the deposit at contract signing (which I did with a condition that the check would not be cashed until financing was approved)....again another plot to hook you in.... The moment we signed with Hobert I called A&S and told them we were not going to be moving forward with them and to send me my check back... this was about 6 weeks ago and I still have not seem my check (I did put a stop payment on that one that same day to ensure they would not cash it).

To make a long story short, in my view any company that deals in that manner makes me nervous as to what service I am going to get from them through the process and after completion. Especially since they know, that once the excavation starts you are SOL and at their mercy.

We are currently 2 weeks into the process and they are pouring the deck as we speak (about 2 weeks ahead of schedule). During this whole process, I have been in daily communication with the Construction Scheduler and I know exactly what has been done, what is coming next and when... this has made the process very easy and fun to say the least. If the others on this post are right and A&S has a very poor project management team or process, then I am not sure you will enjoy this process and could turn into a nightmare very quickly.

So... I am not saying A&S is a bad company or does bad work (as I never got to experience it), but do make sure you go with the company/PB that makes you feel comfortable and gives you a sense that they will work WITH you during this very nerve racking process as opposed to you being at their mercy. At the end of the day this is YOUR pool, and you want a PB that understand that and will do everything possible to make sure you dream pool is great.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Jim Flechsig Swimming Pools, Inc.
828 Georgetown Dr.
Ramsey, New Jersey 07446
Phone: (201) 337-9033
Fax: (207) 661-8252

These guys built my pool in 1985. I was told they were the most expensive but the best. They gave me the lowest price.

You could also try Rin Robyn Pools in Butler, NJ. They do great work and I am sure they would be under the numbers you posted.

Good luck but you can still get a nice pool for a lot cheaper than your quotes.

I am in process of building the pool and evaluated 4 PB with vinyl liners. Then I decided to call A&S just in case to check on pricing. Jim called me back and I outlined what I want to do with buying my equipment and connecting it. they will be responsible for building the pool etc. I will supply equipment, do electrical and fencing. They frowned on me but promised to delivery quote (just want double roman pool without much extras). 5 weeks later I am still waiting for quote. I think they make too much money on the equipment and doing the whole job and they do not want to work with me doing only part of it. Neighbor is putting A&S pool right now. A&S put the marking on the ground and they took 4 weeks to come and dig it, Then another 2 weeks until they rebar it, then a couple week to gunite it, then two weeks later put coping and equipment/electrical. Does not look to bad but very delayed I would say.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.