Sep 27, 2010
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
We are approaching making a decision on a PB in central NJ. This site has been a great help in getting to that point – not done yet but getting close. Given the huge knowledgebase out there I have a simple question:

If only I had ____________.

Fill in the blank, anything goes – design, PB selection, construction, equipment, start up…

Thanks!

Figure out which way the prevailing wind is and put the skimmer at the extreme downwind spot, even if it means the longest pipe run.

I also wish my main drain was hooked to a three-way valve rather than tied to the skimmer. Messing with the flapper in the diverter is a nuisance.

...Not built this stinking pool!

:) Prepare yourself for equipment headaches, extra household labor, and high electric bills. The kids will love it though.

Oh... if you're stuck on some optional "extra" item that you think you'll regret later if it's cut out of the project... Do it. You'll regret it later. Whether it's more decking, some wall, better waterfall, extra pump... whatever. It'll be so much easier to do it now.

It's probably worth posting your specs and scope of the PB here. The more specific you can get in that contract the less surprises you'll have when you're almost done.

fyton2v said:
...Not built this stinking pool!

:) Prepare yourself for equipment headaches, extra household labor, and high electric bills. The kids will love it though.

Oh... if you're stuck on some optional "extra" item that you think you'll regret later if it's cut out of the project... Do it. You'll regret it later. Whether it's more decking, some wall, better waterfall, extra pump... whatever. It'll be so much easier to do it now.

It's probably worth posting your specs and scope of the PB here. The more specific you can get in that contract the less surprises you'll have when you're almost done.

I have to disagree with you here. I spent maybe 5-10 minutes a day on my pool. I have not noticed any higher electric bills. My house when purchased came with a pool. I dont use it as much as I thought, but it is a great way to host parties and have people over and bring stuff.

... the $$ to put in an inground w/a shallow sun bathing area!

Here that means the cost of the pool & decking plus a really large fence. We have a large yard that would look strange broken up by a fence where the pool would sit.

put in writing the minimum thickness of the flagstone coping in the contract. i assumed it would all be around an inch and a half or 2", but mine ranges from 2" all the way down to 3/4". i brought it up and the pb just kinda blew it off....it's not gonna crack etc. every time i look at that couple of sections that are only 3/4" i get angry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not put in the Laminar deck jets. We hardly use them. We do however use the sunshelf with bubbling foot jets. I can get those to cascade 18" above water line. Kids love them and they look great. http://www.troublefreepool.com/our-pool-started-feb-28th-idaho-t29982.html
I also wish we would have went with a Pentair Intelitouch instead of the Pentair Easycontrol. I would have liked to control the pool through an IP address on a computer.
I wish we would have spent the extra money for a colored plaster.
Even thought the PB complained, I am glad I contracted to put in Sch 80 pvc. Peace of mind for me.
We are very happy with the Polaris cleaner and booster, I have never had to vacuum. We are also happy with our gunite choice over liner. I would have loved to have a more elaborate pool, but $$$ and our yard is pretty small.
And lastly we love the SWG. Love it.

Can someone explain the recommendation/issue with connecting the main drains to a skimmer? Our pool builder is doing the plumbing this week, and according to my discussion on Saturday, the plan is to connect the drain to the skimmer. Why wouldn't I want this? The pool builder wasn't aware that anyone had any issues with it....

...more than one light niche in the main pool. With a SAm light, it doesn't seem bright enough, and I doubt this will be the case with a new LED (e.g. Intellibrite) either. Give yourself more than one niche if you want to light up your pool properly with current lighting choices.

Actually I'm pretty happy with my build. The main part of the pool is a 16 x 36, sport pool 5 ft center depth going to 3.5 on one end and 4 on the other. In addition to the main part there are shallows and the spa.

I have separate drain and skimmer runs with valves for each, a 7x7 shallow area that fits two recliners and a bench running the entire length of the pool (both at 16 inches deep) and a attached spa also 7x7 square.

I used a DE filter w a capture tank and SWG and floor cleaning system and solar heating. Concrete deck (self coping) finished with acrylic, very resistant to salt damage.

If I had it to do again I think I would make both ends 4 ft deep, other than that I'm very happy.

MattM said:
Can someone explain the recommendation/issue with connecting the main drains to a skimmer? Our pool builder is doing the plumbing this week, and according to my discussion on Saturday, the plan is to connect the drain to the skimmer. Why wouldn't I want this? The pool builder wasn't aware that anyone had any issues with it....
I like to have circulation through the main drain as it helps keep the water temperature uniform throughout the pool. There's no temperature stratification. To do so I have to mess with the little flap in the diverter in the skimmer, which is not the most precise adjustment.
lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

The second reason is that if you need to drain a bunch of water, say, to lower the CH, it gets dicey with the main drain tied to the skimmer. If the water gets below the skimmer, you suck air, lose prime, and damage the pump. If the skimmer is shut off, you can suck the whole pool dry and never worry about losing prime. I don't know where San Diego gets its water, but the rest of the state generally has pretty hard water, so CH buildup is a real concern.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.