Intelliflo 011018 squeaky sound on speed #2

Re: Intelliflo 011018 skeaky sound on speed #2

it's more of a squeak than a squeal. it sounds like metal on metal and varies with the rpm. like squeak, squeak, squeak. i called my pb and he said he is going to call pentair to check it out. i'll keep yall updated. weird thing is at higher rpm 2350+ it goes away.

repairman from pentair came out today. took apart the pump and said it's definitely the motor. bringing out a new motor on thursday to replace.

question: this pump is only a couple months old and i don't really like the idea of having a repaired pump on my brand new pool. would i have any luck pressing for a whole brand new pump? would i press this issue with my pb or pentair? thanks

There is a rubber washer on the motor shaft that has most likely moved out a bit. I've seen it before and the noise only happens at lower rpm. Said repairman could probably slide that back and all would be well.

Your concern is unwarranted, the pump will be fine. It's like asking for a new car because it had a squeaky alternator.

cadillac said:
There is a rubber washer on the motor shaft that has most likely moved out a bit. I've seen it before and the noise only happens at lower rpm. Said repairman could probably slide that back and all would be well.

Your concern is unwarranted, the pump will be fine. It's like asking for a new car because it had a squeaky alternator.

well, the warranty guy who came out said the motor needed to be replaced. maybe he's not heard of that fix you described, but i'm in the houston area and i'm sure he's dealt with a lot of intelliflos.

anyway, the new motor was installed and the pump is quiet like it should be. one little thing that kinda annoys me is the original pump motor drew about 300 watts on speed #2, and this new motor draws about 320 watts on speed 2.

You can simply spray the motor shaft area with silicon lubricant. There is an opening on the bottom side of the motor near the seal plate. Point the nozzel up in there and soak the area. This will lubricate the rubber bushing and stop any friction noise. Not a big deal really. Replacing the motor MIGHT fix the problem, but you never know.

What a design flaw. I am very surprised when looking on the net all the problems in general. I guess this is still the early stages for the motors so the glitches have to be worked out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is quite rare, so I wouldn't call it a design flaw. These pumps have been out over 5 years, so they are quite seasoned. Many complaints I've seen stem from a lack of knowledge.

If you wanted to take the pump apart to access this item for a heavier lube, you could do that. Spraying is just the easy way. You could actually remove this piece and it will work just fine.

Not so rare:
intelliflo-owners-hear-a-soft-squeak-on-start-stop-t24868.html
http://poolfyi.com/forum/topics/new-int ... -squealing
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 20029.html

I found it's easier to hear the noise if the speed 1 button is pressed and lowering the RPMs from there after it's run for a few minutes.

I did buy the silicon spray and looked for the opening mentioned. Are you able to show pictures? It would be helpful I think to myself and others. I hate to spray in the wrong spot.

Zoom spout oilers are commonly used on air conditioning motors and the related bearings. I wonder if it would work here. Zoom spout oil is a light weight oil about the same color as motor oil. It is a zoom spout as it has along, slender tube that pulls out of the bottle to allow to reach under motors or to the backside without removing the motor from its mounts.

Just an idea. The motors I sold for blower motors look very similar and have the same basic numbering schemes as AC motors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.