faulty SP0710XR50 vari-flo multiport valve gasket?

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
i just want to validate my thoughts on this with the knowledgeable folks on this forum.

when i clean my pump basket, before i open the lid i close the intake valves on main drain and skimmer lines and move selector handle from "filtering" to "close". regardless of that i often have the water draining from the basket past the intake line. it has no place to go but towards the filter. i thought i had a leak somewhere in the filter but it was all dry. i opened the bleed valve on the filter and it start sucking the air in. then i noticed that there is some water coming out from the pool returns.

so it seems that my multiport gasket is bad and it let the water from the pump to be sucked by gravity thru the filter back to the pool. i also get some water in discharge waste port, but since it's capped it's not a big problem.

is this a correct conclusion? how bad is it if left as it? are the any special trick about changing the gasket? it seems that it would be spring loaded, so i don't want to get in a situation where i'm not able to put it back together without a special tool.

thanks!

It sounds like the gasket is the culprit. They're not hard to change.

Since you're getting water out the waste port that's a definite indicator that the gasket is leaking. I'd replace it and stop capping the waste port. Capping the waste port is like putting tape over the check engine light, you're just hiding a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.