what would you do

Jul 16, 2011
Southern California
Well we just had our pool remodeled. New Plumbing, coping, tile, and plaster. Well day one we have a leak. It looks like it is where the skimmer meets the pool wall. They put some putty around it and we are testing the water line again. To me a fix like that does not seem right. We just paid all this $$ and we have a leak and you are going to put putty that will prob be no good in a year. How would you handle this situation and what would you expect to be done if that was the main prob of the leak?? Thanks

I would ask them first off if that is how they plan on leaving it and express your concerns that, number 1, it looks bad and number 2, the likelihood that it will remain patent after a period of time is not all that great.

Is it just grout from the tile that acts as a barrier where the skimmer meets the wall? You could see the grout had cracked and they covered it with the putty. Seems like it just would need to be regrouted? We plan on talking more about this to him when he comes back tomorrow to evaluate the waterline. I'm just hoping this location is the actual spot the leak is coming from. What a headache

Epoxy, used in the correct manner, is probably the best repair that can be made.

I would suggest developing a good line of communication with your PB and allowing him to build your confidence in his performance. Do you have valid reasons to doubt what he is saying?

We here are only making stabs in the dark about the issue and he is on site and financially responsible.

If you cannot develop a comfort level with him, then you should document your objections to what he intends to do and ask that he provide, in writing, a warranty to the repair that will make you comfortable.

I have no reason to doubt just not familiar with the product he used. He will be coming back out to put the putty all around the mouth opening of the skimmer to make me feel more comfortable. It has been 48hr and no water loss. Just wasnt sure how that putty epoxy stuff would hold up with all the chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.