Dry acid OK for vinyl pool?

May 15, 2011
Gentlemen-

I've read notes about not letting any powders sit on the bottom of your pool; I think I'm looking for comments about my method.

When I add dry acid to my 10k gal above ground vinyl pool, I add some to a bucket of water. A little of it dissolves, but most just goes to the bottom of the bucket. I then put the bucket into the pool, turn it fairly sideways, and rock it back and forth so the pool water enters the bucket, and mixes with the powdered acid.

My hope is to dissolve the powder, but usually, it just gets carried out of the bucket, and ends up on the bottom of the pool. After I'm done adding the acid, I brush the bottom, which seems to help dissolve the powder.

It seems like there must be a better way. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Welcome to TFP!

Muriatic acid is my favorite choice, no worrying about getting it to dissolve and it costs less. Still, dry acid is fine as long as you pre-dissolve it. It isn't all that difficult if you stir a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.